Another Sterling haul at Goodwill!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I made my wife go to Goodwill with me while running an errand today and told her she might be my good luck charm. She was! There was a box of silverware in the showcase for $14.99. It was taped up but you could see through the tape. It looked like Sterling and I sped one piece marked as such. This is the Goodwill where I found 36 pieces of Sterling 2-3 years ago! I made a mistake and mentioned it to an employee while at another store and the word got back to the store and they have been VERY tight with silver ever since, only a few pieces here and there. Apparently they are no longer policing it as closely. Look at the picture! 2000 grams not counting serving pieces, knives, or the demitasse spoons! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491779574.399857.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491779593.125520.jpg

Only issue is that most of it is monogrammed, so can't really sell it as a set.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over a grand melt value. SCORE!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang. Goodwill in your areas seem to be great

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this even possible? My Goodwills told me they won't even put a watch out if it's over $30 lol Nice score!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody is going to lose their $2.75 an hour job over this one.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
It's mostly Gorham 1895 Chantilly pattern. I will have to see how monogrammed pieces do on the bay. I have to admit that I get lucky at my Goodwills more often than not. And I try not to be too greedy. I scored a cart full of Nerf Guns Saturday and skipped the vintage SuperSoakers so someone else could score. A guy with his kids grabbed them up a few minutes later. He was looking them up on his phone when I approached him to ask if he wanted the Nerf guns. He let his sons pick the ones they wanted and he didn't want the others. I arranged them nicely on the shelf and they were sold before I even left the store. The more I give, I believe the more I receive.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Is it gold washed or is that just the pics? I bet that is what threw them off. Amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Not gold washed, it's the pics. Definitely had that "look" that is hunters would recognize. Found out a new manager was on duty. I need to find out her schedule and stalk the store!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Sold to a fellow picker for $900 minus the serving pieces and other pieces I liked.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats. I am absolutely not questioning the validity of this find, but... This just seems impossible to me. Looking through GW posts over the years, you just don't see this happen at GW's. You must have found a diamond in the rough! Again, congrats!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats. I am absolutely not questioning the validity of this find, but... This just seems impossible to me. Looking through GW posts over the years, you just don't see this happen at GW's. You must have found a diamond in the rough! Again, congrats!

Having searched Goodwill stores in Dallas, San Antonio, Greensboro North Carolina, and somewhere in Virginia..I can actually agree with you. This stuff just does not happen. But locally...I am very lucky.
I met a reseller in this exact GW a couple years ago. He said that he flies around the country to buy stuff and sell but the best place he finds stuff is places in Dayton, Ohio. So there's a freebie for you guys. I have a buddy who searches in Dayton and he does very well also. I think it's proximity to Wright Patterson and folks stationed from everywhere increases the amount of goods folks donate.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having searched Goodwill stores in Dallas, San Antonio, Greensboro North Carolina, and somewhere in Virginia..I can actually agree with you. This stuff just does not happen. But locally...I am very lucky.
I met a reseller in this exact GW a couple years ago. He said that he flies around the country to buy stuff and sell but the best place he finds stuff is places in Dayton, Ohio. So there's a freebie for you guys. I have a buddy who searches in Dayton and he does very well also. I think it's proximity to Wright Patterson and folks stationed from everywhere increases the amount of goods folks donate.

I live about an hour from Dayton. My local GW has absolutely nothing. I don't even bother wasting my time going there anymore. As for other ones in the area, maybe they have something. I think it all just has to do with who is the manager and workers.:icon_king:

blacksheep4289

Aug 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live about an 1:30 from Dayton. One day I had the itch to check out some new ts so I got up at 7 am and headed out. Was gone until 9pm that day. Didn't even find enough to pay for the gas! That being said it's all luck. I went to the goodwill 3 minutes up the road earlier and scored several snes games for $3. Right place, right time.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's all about persistence. I stop at the local Goodwill almost every day. Most days I walk out 15 minutes later empty handed. Other days I pay less than $10 for something (or things) I'll sell for $100-1000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread