tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Wednesday I went to a GW in Boulder, Colorado and I've been looking for a bike for my wife. I see they have this orange one made by a company called Public model C7. It has a price of $299.00, so I inquire about it and the price was firm as the guy told me he looked up the new value and it was up there around $600. He then says it'll be half off tomorrow. I thought about and decided to gamble on getting it Thursday which was yesterday. I get there before the store opens​ and the bike is still in the rack, but the seat and post are gone. They open the store and I head to the checkout counter and tell them I think I would like the bike, but where the heck is the seat? The woman got a shocked look and said 'its not on it? I said no. She got the manager thinking they pulled the seat for safe keeping, but that was not the case. Someone stole it the night before. The manager said a guy who said he was a dealer was really interested in it Wednesday and even offered to pay the 1/2 off price to hold it for the day of the sale. Due to policy's they can't do that as it first come with the money gets the deal. The manager was thinking the guy who so desperately wanted it, may have lifted the seat in order to make it less appealing to others, in order to give him time to get it at the better price. I don't know if that's really what happened, but if it is I'll still take the bike as-is missing the seat, because I have a spare post and seat I can put on it for now. I'm pretty sure the OEM seat and post will be pretty pricey, but my wife doesn't care about it not be all original, she loves the bike. It's very light weight and operate very smoothly and easy to ride. She does want a good soft cruiser seat over my old mountain bike seat though. My advice to the thrift store was, when you have a pricey bike again take the seat off and put it inside with a note on the bike saying the seat is inside. I'm surprised someone didn't just bring some cable cutter's and steal the whole bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20170421_062234628_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170421_062234628_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something worth $600 shouldn't have been left outside. That's crazy, especially with our Colorado weather.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say someone took the seat so no one else would buy it, and it would be there for him at half price.

Therefore, I'm delighted you purchased it anyway = spoiled his evil plot :)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something worth $600 shouldn't have been left outside. That's crazy, especially with our Colorado weather.
I know, especially here in Boulder. Bike riding is a major thing in this country and college town to boot.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say someone took the seat so no one else would buy it, and it would be there for him at half price.

Therefore, I'm delighted you purchased it anyway = spoiled his evil plot :)
That was the biggest factor in my decision to buy it as is and who ever took it had to use the right Allen whench to release the seat. The thrift shop said they were going to take in the back to be repriced, which would take another day and a whole week before the 50% off day would come again, but I said no, I'll take it as-is for the then asking price of $168 and change. I wanted someone to know they committed a crime all for almost nothing. Though the seat this company uses are made by a company called Brooks and they're not cheap bicycle seats.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People can be real scumbags. Maybe the seat will pop up on craigslist.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People can be real scumbags. Maybe the seat will pop up on craigslist.
I just put a nice cushier seat on it I got at Walmart. Mama took off on it and said it's perfect, but yes it may show up for sale someplace. She could care less about the originally of it, but the whole deal about the seat being swiped did kindof bug me.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It has been quite nice weather on the front range this week from what I have seen. Can't wait to get back. Been in the middle of the mountains for too long.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like it would be a pretty painful ride if the seat was gone and the post was still in place.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put a nice cushier seat on it I got at Walmart. Mama took off on it and said it's perfect, but yes it may show up for sale someplace. She could care less about the originally of it, but the whole deal about the seat being swiped did kindof bug me.
Think further down the road! If she gets tired of it or whatever, you can still sell it and make your money back and then some! Hopefully it'll appreciate by then!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think the seat fell off and the wind blew it away?

No, someone clearly stole it. However, several of you seem to have psychic abilities and know exactly what happened. There is no evidence to support most of the claims being made in this thread.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, someone clearly stole it. However, several of you seem to have psychic abilities and know exactly what happened. There is no evidence to support most of the claims being made in this thread.
No one said they knew what happened, they were just saying...Hey, wait a minute, your just trying to bait someone into an argument...so in that case Ill just say your right and wont argue with you.

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smells fishy to me too, or maybe someone just liked the seat.

Nice bike though. :icon_thumleft:

I'd keep checking the thrift store next week though in case the seat shows up on the shelves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread