Hamilton's first wrist watch for men! Historical piece.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was walking through my regular thrift and saw these two ladies pocket watch movements sitting on top of this old leather pouch for $5. I thought they were junk because they were covered in verdigris and grime. I almost never even had the employee take them out of the case. I noticed one was a Hamilton and I love Hamiltons. I quickly looked it up and I was speechless. I first saw what they sold for on eBay and quickly bought them. It wasn't until I got home I found out why it was so expensive. Turns out Hamilton used this specific movement to make their first wrist watch for men in 1917 and they are of historical significance, also very rare to find them in working order with an appropriate wrist case. Dropped it off with my watchmaker who is confident he can get it running (fingers crossed nothing is really broken). Lucky me because few months back at an estate sale I bought a pocket wrist watch for $15 and as it turns out it's the same exact size case I need!!! I could possibly own a working example of Hamilton's first dive into the wrist watch business. Here are a few articles explaining it! http://www.hamiltonwristwatch.info/Detail - 0-Sized Prototype.htm http://www.hamiltonwristwatch.info/Detail - 0-Sized Cushion - 983 Silver.htm Vintage Hamilton Wristwatches: Hamilton Wristwatches by date 1917 Hamilton ?O? Size 17 Jewel Model 983 Pocket Watch Movement. 31T | eBay
20170419_182006_resized.jpg 20170419_182223_resized.jpg 20170419_182336_resized.jpg 20170419_182853_resized.jpg
Here is the case I am going to use for it.
20160814_132108_resized.jpg

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $5, you can't beat it with a stick. Great score!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. They will go great together. I can't wait to see the finished watch.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, will be nice to see how you make out on this one. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread