Yesterdays Popcorn Poppers are Today's Coffee Roasters

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned something new last week, and I can't remember exactly where I read it, I just hope it wasn't on this forum or I'll be spamming you with information you already know. :D

The air popcorn poppers that we so often see in thrift stores and estate sales are now being purchased by folks who like to roast their own coffee beans. Here is a list of the most sought after popcorn poppers by the crowd that uses them for coffee beans (I apologize I can't give credit to the original author because I pasted the information to my notepad and I can't remember where I grabbed it from):

West Bend Popper – Rare, but these are the best of the best.
West Bend Poppery II – These are more common and work really well.
West Bend Aircrazy
Presto PopLite*(Wal-Mart model numbers 114316, 04821 & 04820)
Popcorn Pumper
Kitchen Gourmet (Walgreens Brand)
Toastmaster 6203
Toastess TCP-3888 & TCP-1

Like anything else, you'll have to do your due diligence if you find one and cross reference eBay solds to make sure its worth a purchase. Remember to put "coffee bean roaster" in your eBay listing title if you do buy it to flip.

I'm officially the forum guinea pig for the West Bend Poppery II. I picked one up today for $1 and I have it listed for $30 + shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info. Thanks

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased one of those hot air popper's that blows the popcorn in a bowl. It was a cheap TS find and I thought I'd use it myself. Dang thing was dysfunctional. It blow popcorn out smoldering and almost on fire. That was a waist of a couple bucks. So yes, you don't want to buy just any old popcorn machine. I just toss that hazard in the trash and my wife said don't you think you should not buy anymore junk like that at the thift stores.?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased one of those hot air popper's that blows the popcorn in a bowl. It was a cheap TS find and I thought I'd use it myself. Dang thing was dysfunctional. It blow popcorn out smoldering and almost on fire. That was a waist of a couple bucks. So yes, you don't want to buy just any old popcorn machine. I just toss that hazard in the trash and my wife said don't you think you should not buy anymore junk like that at the thift stores.?

Great advice from the wife. Listen to her because you really have no choice. Yes dear, no dear, yes dear, anything you say dear.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats funny. For some reason I am just imagining a machine spitting hot coals all over the floor. :laughing9:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice from the wife. Listen to her because you really have no choice. Yes dear, no dear, yes dear, anything you say dear.
I don't know about that. She leans more to the idea that everything found in a thrift store is crap people don't want anymore and yes there is some truth to that. Yes, I do listen to her, but sometimes I just appear to be listening to her, because that's really all she wants.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I fouond my first air popper since I started looking, a West Bend Poppery II, 1200 watts. Paid $2.69 and I have it on Etsy for $24.00. See how it goes.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
The original west bend poppers is 1500 watts. That's why they sell better for roasting beans.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm officially the forum guinea pig for the West Bend Poppery II. I picked one up today for $1 and I have it listed for $30 + shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just an update - Sold today for $29.95 plus shipping. Sat longer than I would have liked, but still a decent return. Not sure that I'm convinced enough to go actively seeking these out, but it is nice to know they are good for a few bucks if I come across them.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update - Sold today for $29.95 plus shipping. Sat longer than I would have liked, but still a decent return. Not sure that I'm convinced enough to go actively seeking these out, but it is nice to know they are good for a few bucks if I come across them.

Well now the cat's out the bag I might as well tell you- I've sold 3 of these in the past year. The last poppery I sold, about 6 months ago, I got 60 on ebay. Don't take less than 30, I think the best prices come for the Poppery I.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

30X your initial investment is not bad, ill have to BOLO for these.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then keep on buying.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread