May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this beautiful Victorian mourning Locket at a thrift store. It was $45 and from a handcrafted perspective I thought it was well worth it. I cannot see any marks on it other then an X and some engraved numbers 1599. The fact it may be gold is a bonus although I do see some green tarnish around the hinge and the glass which means it could be gold filled . Everything about this screams quality though and the fact that you can see the remnants of the photograph, which makes it period, adds to this. I also picked up this 1970s LeGant diver with an awesome red white and blue dial. It's running great just needs a good crystal polish. The lady at the thrift store didn't have the watches out yet when I asked if she had any so she got them and said she had not priced them yet. I evaluated the other watches she had with an honest opinion of value and then just offered her $25 on this one and she took it. She had a great ladies Concorde, a Citizen Chronograph, a Seiko 5 and three Louis Vuitton counterfeit automatics with cheap Chinese movements. I could've flipped the first two but I just wanted the LeGant for my collection. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495903187.714778.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495903203.336046.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495903217.992782.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495903231.654089.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495903245.059334.jpg

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'd be willing to bet the locket is gold. I've got a few pieces from the same era with similar construction. None are marked but they all test positive for gold on my electronic tester. Funny thing is the gold content can vary throughout the piece. I think part of that is due to the way they are made from several pieces. Another thing that can make them vary is that some pieces are marriages of 2 (or more) pieces.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be willing to bet the locket is gold. I've got a few pieces from the same era with similar construction. None are marked but they all test positive for gold on my electronic tester. Funny thing is the gold content can vary throughout the piece. I think part of that is due to the way they are made from several pieces. Another thing that can make them vary is that some pieces are marriages of 2 (or more) pieces.

Yeah I hope your bet is right. I won't be able to test it till Monday.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice and yellow 18K-ish. If it turns out to be gold, that is one hell of a chunk. I would have whipped out $45 instantly.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That locket is AWESOME. That would throw the steampunk crowd into a collective orgasmic frenzy.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'd be surprised if it wasn't between 10-14K & more than likely on the lower end of that range. I'm not so sure about the resale value being a lot more than melt. Most of the pieces I have were put in the safe deposit box when I bought them a couple years back because the market value at the time was right around melt. That could have changed.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice locket - looks like it might be rose gold .

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That LaGant has the look many collectors would desire. It's​ a fine time piece and you got for way under what it's worth. I know I'd be very pleased to add that to my collection. Even if the locket isn't gold I could see it going for more than a $100. and very possibly more on a good day with the condition it's in.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got back from the beach and was able to acid test the locket. It passed the 10KT gold test with flying colors! 14.78g. Alrighty!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got back from the beach and was able to acid test the locket. It passed the 10KT gold test with flying colors! 14.78g. Alrighty!

Failed at 14K? I am very surprised.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful locket, I sure hope it's GOLD! :occasion14:

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Failed at 14K? I am very surprised.

It actually did not fail completely. The gold scratch definitely reacted and dulled but did not disappear. It might be 14 karat.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually did not fail completely. The gold scratch definitely reacted and dulled but did not disappear. It might be 14 karat.

Its probably right at it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$352.15 melt value - but it would be a crime to even think about melting such a beautiful piece. Well done!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing locket. My bet is it is 12K. Most of the unmarked gold victorian pieces Ive found have turned out to be 12K.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread