First sterling bowl + first sterling find in awhile! Cheap peace dollars as well

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was starting to get a little jealous of these sterling finds at thrifts lol! So I went out and found one myself! I wasn't expecting this honestly. I thought this bowl looked interesting and when I flipped it over I got excited. I have never found a sterling bowl before, I also haven't found anything sterling at this location before! Weighs a nice 249 grams for $3!! Any idea on the maker mark? I also got these peace dollars at a pawn for a whopping $7 a piece.... cant go wrong there. While standing in line to check out with the bowl I accidentally dropped it and it made the loudest sound of silver clanking all over the place lol....
20170603_192313_resized.jpg 20170603_192322_resized.jpg 20170603_192339_001_resized.jpg 20170603_192537_resized.jpg 20170604_174131_resized.jpg 20170604_174148_resized.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest I've been a little jealous of your watch finds. Lol. That's an amazing bowl. And let's talk about those peace dollars WHAT!! That makes absolutely no sense. I have never heard of a pawn shop selling silver dollars at half the melt value. They must really like you at that pawnshop!

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! They sold the peace dollars to me because they were too beat up and nobody else wanted to buy them. It's just honest wear and there is no real damage... kinda cool to have some super worn out peace dollars for the collection! I love finding sterling flatware/holloware, I just hadn't found anything for the longest time and I am finally glad I could get something. Looks like it was made by Watrous sterling, who later became a part of the International Silver Co.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watrous Sterling 1920's. Nice find. Its hard to believe that a Pawn Shop would sell silver dollars much cheaper than scrap value. They of all people should know. I would call Total BS but I have actually done the very same thing. Keep on pickin

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a pawn shop sold peace dollars for $7, it makes me wonder how much they gave the poor SOB for them that brought them in. Nice scores all around.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely purchased with a coin lot. They coded the tag with what the lot averaged at per piece and the shop employee saw a profit and took it. If this wasn't a friend deal he (or she) probably got a little heat for dumping the coins at that price. But a deal is a deal and a profit sale is profit. The bigger Pawn shops look at it as a margin deal and not always at a value deal. I have friends in the Pawn business that sell me silver far below spot because A) I am a friend and B) they made money even if it wasn't ALL the money

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Beautiful bowl! Congrats, and on those Peace dollars too!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That or they were just liquidating for shelf space. I know my local shop had marked a whole case of jewelry to $5 including some small gold pieces.. a lot of silver was less than spot and the gold, even weighing a gram or two max was of course well under. Not sure why they resorted to this either, but maybe they make so much money that having the space quickly is more important than making a worthwhile profit.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you guys why they sold them for $7 lol. First I am a good friend and buy TONS from them. Also, the coins were a part of a lot they paid about $10is-14 a piece. In the lot was a CC Morgan worth about $700 so I don't think they really cared at that point! And they told me no one had even considered buying the peace dollars because they were beat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread