Tips for newbies

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jewelry first, then through the appliances back to the book shelves....

I picked up a 1960's Vitamix (built like a tank) from Salvation Army some time ago but did have to fork over $75 for it, well worth it.

It is my understanding that older repair manuals (for like Harley's, etc) can fetch a good profit on eBay. I've not found any yet.

OP
OP
M

mrw5641

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! What about books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know much about books, which is why I keep my cell phone with me. I have yet to find any truly valuable book, at least worth more than a couple of hundred bucks. The best finds I've had were for books that weren't even all that old.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only couple of tips I can recall regarding books is to look for any autographed biographies (check just inside the front cover) and old, technical manuals (think pre-1980 Chiltons automotive manuals for example). My issue with autographed bios is how would you prove provenance if questioned during a sale? :dontknow:

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't really done well with books. Jewelry seems to be the way to go. Some toys seem to do well. Don't be afraid just to wander around looking at things that catch your eye. I've had good success with things that I think look quality, even though I don't know a lot about them. Hope this helps!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry/watches, Silverplate area, housewares, belts, art/frames, then the rest of the store. In that order. Books and music just a quick glance.

OP
OP
M

mrw5641

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ! Very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go back from a TS. Was not looking for anything specfic, however did pick up a Saki folding serving tray made in Japan. So what ever catches my eye and after carefully looking it over I may buy it.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TS never has jewelry! I first look at art, then quickly walk to the back to see if there are musical instruments or stereo gear, then toys, then housewares and knick knacks. I do ok with books and lp records, but I have looked at a lot of them over the years. Specialize in an area or genre.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jewelry/watches, Silverplate area, housewares, belts, art/frames, then the rest of the store. In that order. Books and music just a quick glance.

Thank god our turf doesn't overlap. We are the exact same type of picker! I hit the belts last. I've been putting more emphasis on the sports area. A nice set of King Cobra irons or a Ping putter or a really nice Easton softball bat... Easy flips, and always cheap at the thrifff. Nice margin stuff. I absolutely breeze through the books and music. That's a hole category shift, and very time consuming.

Tangent: bought a 14K white gold ladies Bulova last night. $8. I oughtta send you a pic to help me out. I stink at watches...

:D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm jewelry/watches, silver plate area, electronics, then art! I do belts here and there and have scored at least two Sterling silver buckles. I put the Brighton belts with a Brighton purse, and put them with Brighton jewelry and sell as a $100+ lot. As far was watches, picked up my second Omega Automatic in a Goodwill jar for the same price as the last one..$30. Bought a cheap band and have worn it a couple times: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497570911.425144.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank god our turf doesn't overlap. We are the exact same type of picker! I hit the belts last. I've been putting more emphasis on the sports area. A nice set of King Cobra irons or a Ping putter or a really nice Easton softball bat... Easy flips, and always cheap at the thrifff. Nice margin stuff. I absolutely breeze through the books and music. That's a hole category shift, and very time consuming.

Tangent: bought a 14K white gold ladies Bulova last night. $8. I oughtta send you a pic to help me out. I stink at watches...

:D

Ha! Me too. It does make me wonder what I miss that other people get before I get there! Minds racing!!!! I've stayed away from sporting-goods, clothes and books music. I'm fine with precious metals and watches with an occasional venture into something that catches my eye and I think I can flip.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm jewelry/watches, silver plate area, electronics, then art! I do belts here and there and have scored at least two Sterling silver buckles. I put the Brighton belts with a Brighton purse, and put them with Brighton jewelry and sell as a $100+ lot. As far was watches, picked up my second Omega Automatic in a Goodwill jar for the same price as the last one..$30. Bought a cheap band and have worn it a couple times: View attachment 1462530

Seriously an Omega in a jar? I've never seen a Watch jar at a goodwill in my neck of the woods. They only occasionally have jewelry jars and the asking $75-$85 for them. If it's real, which I am sure it is, it's a great find.

Last edited:

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work at a Salvation Army in Tampa, this one guy would bug the crap out of me to bring out more records, I should of asked for a kickback!

Found a candle holder once, paid 2 $ They assumed it was plated, you could barely see the stamp on the bottom, sterling silver!

Basically just look for things you can turn a profit on.

blacksheep4289

Aug 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought everything from false teeth and prosthetic legs to cameras and ipods. I'll buy and sell anything I can make a few bucks on. My tip is don't limit yourself to just a certain item. If you do you'll be stumbling over dollars trying to get to the quarters in the back.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to look for in books, certain game guides. I scored a few today at $.50 each. These are all hardcover books. I will have to stop in tomorrow and see if I missed any others.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Collector's Edition should net me $50 at least.

The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia By Dark Horse Books is another easy $15.

The Skyrim Library Vol. 1,2, and 3 will be another easy $50

Fable Anniversary Collector's Edition Guide maybe $10-15, not many examples to go by.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My #1 Rule....never spend more than your willing to lose.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I would start in ONE area, and get as knowledgeable as you can. I had a friend teach me jewelry, but she looks for gold she can scrap for a quick profit. I have found so many other things, and I've branched out into vintage and high end costume.
One thing that will help you is looking in the yard sale section ... The guys there find all kinds of super cool stuff there. I've been amazed at what people will find. For example, What possessed a fellow treasure hunter to buy an empty oyster can from 1950??? He turned a nice profit on that. Silk ties are another I've seen mentioned there. Belts, baseball caps, toys ... It's a matter of having an eye, and having a knack to find stuff. I also spend a lot of evenings just scrolling through Ebay sold auctions with very broad searches ... like, Silpada bracelet, or 14K gold. Again, I only do jewelry. The few times I've tried other things I completely bombed out. Having a cell phone is great, but sometimes it is just too obvious ... I'm sure you've seen the guy who is holding a book in one hand and his cell phone in another frantically trying to look it up ... Me ... I take the phone into the dressing room and do a quick search. LOL. But again, I'm usually in consignment shops.

What Me Worry?

Jun 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we are talking thrift store tips, a simple one is to get to know your stores and their sales. Become a regular. Know the sale days, the coupon color prices, and alot of thrifts here have a clearance section. Get to know the staff a little, always say hi, and engage in a conversation or two. Being personable will pay off in spades.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread