My Daughter's first thrift pick and eBay listing

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
s-l400.jpg

Today was the first day of my 12 yr old daughters summer vacation. When school is out she has to hang out with her picker dad, sometimes to her dismay. We had a few mins to kill just before noon and meeting my wife for lunch, so we swung into a thrift we have never managed to make a find at previously. As we pulled in, I said, "Today's the day, we are going to pick something to flip today." Right by the entrance to the door is a hat rack. On it we saw this Disney Parks safari hat, NWT's and with 4 park pins. I have always told her to pick what she knows. She loves Disney, the princesses, the channel, been to the park in Florida and even owns some shares in one of her college accounts. She has $16 dollars that she has squirreled away as her stash with which to pick and try and flip for profit. I may have actually seen this first, but she agreed to purchase it with her own stash money and go through the process of listing it on eBay. After lunch, we took pics and she helped me build the listing. We probably paid to much, $6.99 plus tax, but one of the pins had sold for $7.50, it came to $7.37.....I kicked in the .37, and she has a chance to turn $7 into 20, I figure. I may have passed on that margin myself, but it will be a good experience for us. I am very proud of her, as always. Here's the listing that she helped write:

NWT Disney Parks Authentic Original Animal Kingdom Med. Safari Hat w/ 4 Pins | eBay

Thanks for looking.

T.

Last edited:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Might have a shot at making more splitting it up, but I am sure that she will do well. Disney is like crack to some people.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I wish I could get my 15 year old daughter to go with me.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I got my kids into it also. They would rather give me money and I buy them something. but sometimes they pick out things as well like Nerf gun's. I bought a train set and I got discouraged with it because I thought it was going to take forever to organize. it sat in my garage for probably seven months. Well I asked her if she wanted to organize it and I will give her the money for it. She made $45 off of it. Packed it all up and I shipped it for her. Between that and babysitting she's making a killing this summer!!

I make them put half of it there money in a savings account though and then they can keep the other half for whatever.

Although I asked my son today if he doesn't make the NFL what are his plans, (he's 9) he said he's going to sell on eBay for a living LOL.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Just wanted to update and put a bow on this thread. After it being relisted a few times and taken down while we were on vacation in Alaska for 3 weeks, the hat finally sold tonight for $15 plus shipping. After fees she won't make a killing, but she will have turned $7 into $12. It took a couple of months, but would have taken a couple of centuries with today's interest rates. LOL. I am working the night shift, but she has addressed the pkg and has written a short thank you note to put in it just as I do with each of my sales. Tomorrow morning is "late arrival", school is delayed an hour. This will give us time to take the pkg to the P.O. on the way to school. She will be getting the full experience and learn that picking is the easy part. Thanks for reading.

T.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread