May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my usual stop thrift store and two men were at the jewelry counter looking intently at a Watch and checking their iPhones. They had the watch for at least 5 to 10 minutes. I couldn't wait to get a chance to look at it to see what they were looking at. Well they finally returned the watch and the lady behind the counter immediately took and put it behind the counter. I asked if I could see it and she said it was bought by a lady which I can't figure out how that happened because she was not around but anyway she got it. A few minutes later she walked up to pay and I asked her what she got and she was so excited and she whispered to me I got a Rolex. Do you want to see it she asked? Well heck yeah. Well she handed me the watch and she's telling me how it has a sweeping hand and you know it's real because you can see the movement thru the back glass. She said She can't believe She got it for $53 and she was going to get it checked out right away. then she asked me what I thought about it . I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a fake with a cheap Chinese automatic movement. She was so excited I wanted her to enjoy it for a little bit. Rolex never did exhibition back's and this one was superlight and the gold plating on the band was worn off.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably for the best you didn't mention it. At least she didn't pay $530 or $5,300.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew a guy that had a fake Rolex. Thing was he would tell anyone that looked at it that it was fake.
Why have a fake Rolex. It's great that he was honest I guess.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a guy that had a fake Rolex. Thing was he would tell anyone that looked at it that it was fake.

Lol! ???

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had our club jeweler check out one I found, on the inside it said "Made in Shiterand". He said that was the Chinese or Japanese idea of a joke, lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking a flea market I was hailed over to a dealers booth with "hey you buy good watches don't ya"...

From his fanny pack he pulls out an 18k white gold with diamond bezel and diamond number face presi...

I am like wow... where did you get this... he says "storage unit".

So I am looking and looking... everything is right... etched... sweep... numbered lug bar...

So next question... "how much ya want for it"...

He says "25k"... and says with a huge smile ... "I am gonna start a business and help my family out"... etc...

As he is planning his new life... I have now whipped out my jewelers loop and am in deep on it...

Everything is right... EXCEPT... the stones on the bezel aren't real.

I hand it back and say "this is out of my price range"... "you should have it looked at".

He says... "I have had several people tell me its real already... I just need to cash in now".

I did not have the heart either.

The following weekend... I see him... I stop and say... "hey how did you do with that Rolex"...

He says... "I found out its not real"... "I still have it"... proceeds to pull it again from fanny pack... and says "if you want it I will give it to you for 25 dollars"

I bought it out of pitty and gave it away.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Boss was a Multi Millionaire. He had a few real Rolexes (I helped him buy them) He also bought very good fakes. No one ever questioned him on them because they knew he could afford them. Everyone assumed they were real. I called him out on his BS and he just laughed and said not to tell anyone. He enjoyed the fact that people thought he had a gang of em, and he didn't have to spend the money.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fool and their Money....
A pity Purchase AARC? I am afraid that might put you in the above Category! (How have you bean?)

Well I held it for awhile and studied it... but yeah a buddy liked it so. Later days to it.

Good,,, thanks for asking.

And you ?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey JimDon!! Rolex actually did come out with a Quartz Movement in the 70's but they apparently did not catch on!! I saw several at a reputable jewelers, but more of a fad at the time!! Be cautious as there are some real ones out there!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

What Me Worry?

Jun 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were that lady, I really wish someone would've told me. lmao Now she prob wasted more money getting it appraised. It could always go in any direction though. Me and a buddy were at a comic book shop one time . He saved for over a month for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 and asked if I wanted to go with him to pick it up. Sure. Love comics. As he's doing the transaction, I asked if he knew if it was a first printing or not. He didn't so he asked the owner. The owner turns to me and says nonchalantly "Get the F***k outta my store." Well end of transaction. Saved my buddy $800.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were that lady, I really wish someone would've told me. lmao Now she prob wasted more money getting it appraised. It could always go in any direction though. Me and a buddy were at a comic book shop one time . He saved for over a month for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 and asked if I wanted to go with him to pick it up. Sure. Love comics. As he's doing the transaction, I asked if he knew if it was a first printing or not. He didn't so he asked the owner. The owner turns to me and says nonchalantly "Get the F***k outta my store." Well end of transaction. Saved my buddy $800.

Should have said "Gladly, and my money is coming with me. Which sites would you like a review posted on?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread