Digging through my watches from Goodwill...

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
While looking for some decent Swiss watches to trade to JimDon for one of his watches, I came across this Croton I got a few weeks ago in another thrift store watch jar for $25.00. I'm a sucker for a jar of watches if any of them are decent Swiss. It needs serviced and I wasn't sure if it is worth it or sell it at auction on eBay as a restoration project. I'm guessing it is from the 40s since it's a "Clamshell" with telemeter and the other gauge (tele-something?). Local watch guy does high end watches for $200. Is it worth it? The Omega is the most recent from Goodwill. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498649305.419557.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498649368.127953.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say if the Croton is worth the repair cost, but just had to say: nice score! You're lucky, the Goodwills near me have all gone "corporate". They only sell watches and jewelry online now.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Of the thrift stores near me, three still do in store auctions and all still sell jars of jewelry. But they try to send their "good stuff" to corporate for online selling. Slimmer pickings than a year ago, but better than most GWs around the country.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can send me either one in exchange for the googly eye spaceman Watch!!! Lol... Wow! All I get here are an occasional ladies Geneve. I would stop using the name GW just in case. Don't want them to call catch wind of this and stop the jars! The Croton is definitely worth fixing. It probably won't make you any money cause the cost to service it is about what is worth. I bought my working Semca with the Landeron movement for $47 so I would think this one might go higher since it is a Croton. Omega is a winner.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just come across a few watches that I had stashed. I'm moving, so it's kind of like a surprise, every time I start to pack something up.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at these sold listings you may try to sell as is unless you want to wear it! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
As for the Omega very nice find!! Looks all original and very nice as well. It's a later Geneve model (the early Geneves had cursive writing) expect the price to be around here! OMEGA GENEVE AUTOMATIC CAL.1481 ( CLEAN & 100% WORKS GOOD ) | eBay

I smh at these Goodwill finds because I was just at a Goodwill today and was told that they are starting to sell all of their video games worth $20+ online.... Seriously? Also, any watch over $30 goes online and they don't make watch jars anymore. These Goodwills with good finds are so rare!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread