It's Gold Lady...No it's Not... Ok I'll buy it!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to the thrift store where I got that bangle bracelet to take a closer look at the jewelry. I picked out a 14 karat gold pin shaped like a leaf for 10 bucks. I then found these 14 karat gold post earrings for $4. I asked her if she had any watches and she said she had a box under the counter that hadn't gone to the Jeweler yet. She asked if I wanted to see it and proceeded to pull out a box with watches and a bunch of loose jewelry. It was full of silver and some junk. I did see the Hamilton watch and asked her about it and she said normally she prices all old men's watches for 20 bucks and if I wanted it I can have it for that price so I bought it. It runs Great but when I tried to clean the dial all of a sudden everything just faded. I don't know what happened. Bummer. I then started going through the jewelry box and saw a pair of .585 karat gold knot earrings. I pulled them them out and handed them to the lady and told her these are probably gold as I was trying to make a good impression with her. She looks at them under the magnifying glass for quite a bit then says they're not gold and says she'll just put them in the case for five bucks. I bought them. I am no idea what she was looking at as they were clearly marked 585 but I can tell you this will be my first stop every time I'm down here!!! I also spied this gold filled watch chain in the necklace area. Do real nice high-quality piece but it is missing the swivel which will be an easy replacement . I could use an extra for one of my other pocket watches . Here's a bunch of two dollar watches I also got from another thrift store. Nothing great but for two bucks I couldn't pass them up. The Gold Mortimar, coke amd M&M runs but the others need work. And I also got this really interesting Chinese export silver keychain with an abacus. I am probably going to pull it off the keychain and sell it as a charm. Great new stores. It's going to be great coming back down. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499696316.038250.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499696333.514365.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499696348.087021.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499696361.257316.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499696374.362927.jpg

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LAWL :laughing7:

I have a feeling, that woman is going to kick herself,
when someone explains to her what 585, 750...... means. :BangHead: :laughing7:
or maybe her eyesight is really just that bad..... :dontknow:

Yeah, that'd prolly be my new "go to store" for a while, too, lol. :evil6:

LOVE the abacus key chain........ :o :notworthy:
ya just never see them things used anymore...... :icon_scratch: (:laughing7:)

Nice haul, keep it up!

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon, well you tried to give her a heads up that those were gold!

I had a thrift store price a solid gold ladies watch that was clearly marked 585 on the back for $5 since they had no idea that 585 = 14K.

I have also seen a similiar mistake with vermeil. A thrift store I checked out several months ago had all the sterling items in a long display case and each item was priced way over melt. But I found 6 gold colored spoons with some type of token at the end of each mixed in with the rest of the crappy silverware in another part of the store. I'm sure they assumed like I did that they were just gold plated but when I checked the backs I saw they were marked vermeil. I think they were priced at $2 each. Further research after I bought them indicated they were Franklin Mint produced collector spoons from the 1970's with a 12 days of Christmas theme. Each weighed just under 1 Troy ounce so I got about 5.5 Troy ounces of silver for that $12.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOICE! .585 doesn't register with most. Thank you Europe. I hit a 19 gram 18K gold charm bracelet in a jar two nights ago. I must say you're getting me into watches. I bought a 1966 Bulova Accutron Railroad watch for 30 bucks yesterday. Need to throw a battery in it. I guess it could be a $200 watch...

Thanks!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOICE! .585 doesn't register with most. Thank you Europe. I hit a 19 gram 18K gold charm bracelet in a jar two nights ago. I must say you're getting me into watches. I bought a 1966 Bulova Accutron Railroad watch for 30 bucks yesterday. Need to throw a battery in it. I guess it could be a $200 watch...

Thanks!

Watches can be quite addictive. I think I'm up to 85 now. As with any vintage watch but especially with those electric or electronic watches you have to be very careful as most don't work. That being said 30 bucks for Acutron in any condition is a great buy.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the same error on a Hamilton of the same age. The dials on those are very lightly applied. Those model Hamiltons sure have some beautiful movements.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread