May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the vintage watches I've been accumulating over the past few months through thrift stores I thought it might be best to not spend so much money on the straps and try to make my own. I bought a leather making kit and some scrap leather off of eBay and this was my first finished strap. Not perfect but pretty good I think . What do you think? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500090035.224196.jpg

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That actually came out very nice!!! That'd definitely be one of those $30-40 straps you'd have to buy on eBay.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That'll work. I've never thought of that. You could also find a source of real leather in the thrift stores in old purses and maybe some more exotic leathers from the old cowboy boots ??

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful there, may have found yourself a new profession.

Have to ask - how much time went into it? I'm sure you'd get better/faster from here on out, but I was just wondering between time & supplies what you've got to put into a band. It does look quite nice and should boost the sales of any watch you slap 'em on!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful there, may have found yourself a new profession.

Have to ask - how much time went into it? I'm sure you'd get better/faster from here on out, but I was just wondering between time & supplies what you've got to put into a band. It does look quite nice and should boost the sales of any watch you slap 'em on!

I put about thee hours into it. I also spent about $100 on supplies. This scrap leather was nine dollars on eBay and I can probably make 50 watchbands out of it. This is more about keeping my mind busy and enjoying the craft. It probably is cheaper to buy straps in the long run.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still though. 50 bands x $10 a piece.. = $500/(three hours*50 bands)= $3/hour. That's still pretty good for an enjoyable hobby. And that's just $10 a piece. And that's assuming it'd take you 3 hours each time. Sure it's an enjoyable craft, but I'm thinking [custom] handmade watch bands (especially if you can add more detail) could land an easy $20 a piece. Maybe I'm crazy. .... Just looked them up on eBay and you can get them for $15-30+.. some people offer to put your initials on the band.

Just saying if that's how your first strap came out.. you're going to do well!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is #2. A little shakey on the stitching but I am Getting the hang of it. The sewing took me about two hours but I am sure I can speed it up quite considerably with a little practice. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500338466.066445.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you're a natural at this. Both look good! As far as the stitching, I'll bet hardly anyone would notice if you were wearing it out somewhere.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive. Looks vintage and high-end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread