May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a thrift store and saw this silver plated bowl behind the case. When I looked at the bowl it had what looked like a gold bump on the side. On closer inspection I could see it was a gold corporate emblem. The bowl was five bucks and I bought it. I immediately popped it off and sure enough it was marked 10 karat gold albeit very faintly. It ended up weighing .07 g. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501478864.985300.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501478882.508327.jpg

Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.7 right? Great eye, too bad the bowl wasn't 925. It has a good look.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes these little gold emblems can pop up unnoticed. Here's a recap on one I found that turned out to be a piece of 14k on a silver plated belt buckle.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/thrift-stores/482020-thrift-store-gold.html That glue they use to attach these little emblems sure holds well. This little emblem was latter used in a trade deal at a precious metals buyer who had a vintage sterling silver Georg Jensen bracelet I bought to resell.

Last edited:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a thrift store and saw this silver plated bowl behind the case. When I looked at the bowl it had what looked like a gold bump on the side. On closer inspection I could see it was a gold corporate emblem. The bowl was five bucks and I bought it. I immediately popped it off and sure enough it was marked 10 karat gold albeit very faintly. It ended up weighing .07 g. View attachment 1477983 View attachment 1477984
I once bought a pocket watch at a thrift store for a very good price. I thought the markings were gold, It was sold a plate but guess what it is a gold case. Works great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread