boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, sorry to hear they're bad in your area(s). Been doing excellent in books here. Grab a free bar code reader app and check as you go. Most hardbacks are $1.99 and a lot of the paperbacks are $.75 or less. Don't be bashful about telling them a book is on ebay or whatever for less!! The two by me will mark down at least the same price. Can't gripe! I usually walk out with a big savings & even bigger considering I'm not paying shipping. As far as jewelry the stores by me are dried up. The only conclusion I can come up with is they're cherry picked before the stuff hits the floor. The others I hit are fair & hit & miss. Get something broken or not working? Don't hesitate to ask to return it! I bought a monitor for testing and it worked for a good 10 minutes. Took it back and argued with the manager of this church thrift shop. Told her the other manager traded a broken thing for me before. She told me "Oh! he's not supposed to do that on electronics!!!" I said, Yeah, He's an honest honorable man and started walking out. Can't shoot me for trying... Before I got out the door the lady walked up and stuck a ten in my shirt pocket and told me to have a nice day. Guess she wanted to be honorable too! :laughing7: Always ask for the old farts discount! 8 times out of ten they give me 10% after they quit laughing and swallowing their gum the rest of the way. Remember they can't shoot you for asking! And You just gotta have fun with it!!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Just my opinion but if you fork out money for a jar of jewelry without actually seeing something in it that's worth what you're paying you're gambling. Even worse the odds favor the seller. It's also known as buying a pig in a poke.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place to get bargains these days from Goodwill to buy and resell is if your lucky enough to have a Outlet Store near you. The Goodwill Outlet Store Locator - Your Map to Success! Buy by the pound. Make some great finds, bit less these days as the local one was told to pull all jewelry, cameras/photography gear, computers etc. that look like they are worth money. So GW can auction it off on their site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/
Still lots slip thru at the Outlet Stores. Just be warned depending upon the location buyers are like vultures, manners go out the window, get yourself into a killer mood. https://www.google.ca/search?q=good...window=1&source=lnms&tbm=vid&biw=1440&bih=667

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off subject but we just had a Salvation Army here close. They marked everything at eBay prices. No one bought. They closed. There is still other stores but 1 down!

Salvation Army store here is pretty ghetto, but I have made good finds in there. Stuff in the case, yeah - a bit high priced. Out on the floor it is pretty reasonable. If they know what is good for them they will not follow in the footsteps of GW.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill has no obligation to make anyone money except themselves. Our goodwill tries to use ebay sales for pricing and good for them. I myself will sell something for as much as I can with no guilt at all.

That being said, I never go there, not a lot of good stuff slips through the pricing process and there's too many people. Easier money elsewhere. But I wish all retailers well, it's a tough game!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill has no obligation to make anyone money except themselves. Our goodwill tries to use ebay sales for pricing and good for them. I myself will sell something for as much as I can with no guilt at all.

True - but you probably don't put on some grand facade of 'helping out the community' like they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread