A Real WOW Moment at Salvation Army Thrift Store

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Recently saw this metal case at a thrift store for $9.99. It blew me away when I opened it up. Couldn't have run to the check-out any quicker than I did. I was amazed at what was actually in it when I got it home. Full of vintage bulbs, camera lens filters, a couple other tidbits, and 3 old metal film canisters. 1 canister, had a roll of b&w negatives, and the other 2 had exposed rolls in them. The negatives date from the 40's, pics of cars parked on the street where all from the early 40's and older. Brought the film to a developer today. Turns out 1 of the 2 film rolls was empty, but the other one still had the film in it. So I'm having that roll developed and prints made from the negatives. can pick them up next Monday. I'll post some when I get them. Also, turns out there is a lot of value here. To give you an idea, just the 2 red filters are Leica Ernst Leitz Wetzler, and are worth around $50 each. The guy at the photo store is interested in the flash bulbs, so before I part it all out on eBay, the whole case is coming with me on Monday when I pick up the pictures. But, to me, the treasure is what may be on the undeveloped roll. Update will follow next week.

Attachments

• TN2.jpg
    TN2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 232
  • tn3.jpg
    tn3.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 196
  • tn4.jpg
    tn4.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 178
  • tn5.jpg
    tn5.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 165
  • tn6.jpg
    tn6.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super great find and purchase! I would be worried if any of the photos and film was taken by a world renowned Photographer, that the guy at the Photo Shop might make copies and sell them before you know what has happened. He may be honest and would not do that but one has to take extra care when dealing with vintage photos, films and audio tapes. I have heard of a few folks making some similar finds but knew ahead of time who the Photographer was, so they had the Photo Shop sign a contract where they were not allowed to make copies and/or sell anything found on the film. I have some really old vinyl record studio recordings that have nothing on them to identify what and who is recorded on them. Several folks with the right equipment have offered to take them and find out what is on them but since they wanted to do so without me present, I refused. One of these days I will find out what is on them and hopefully they will have rare or unknown songs by highly sought after artists that may or may not have been well known back when the songs were recorded,

Frank

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have a Kodak I got for Christmas maybe in 1966 or 67 ? that uses those flash cube's. I bought for 10 bucks each a month or so ago a Primo Jr TLR and a Rollie 35S. If you do your research you'll find these higher end 1990s era point and shoot 35mm camera are bringing some big bucks now. Be on the lookout for the ones mentioned in this link that could very easily turn up in a thrift store or yard sale http://www.digitalrev.com/article/the-10-best-35mm-point-and-shoots-ever-made

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have a Kodak I got for Christmas maybe in 1966 or 67 ? that uses those flash cube's. I bought for 10 bucks each a month or so ago a Primo Jr TLR and a Rollie 35S. If you do your research you'll find these higher end 1990s era point and shoot 35mm camera are bringing some big bucks now. Be on the lookout for the ones mentioned in this link that could very easily turn up in a thrift store or yard sale http://www.digitalrev.com/article/the-10-best-35mm-point-and-shoots-ever-made

Those camera prices are incredible. Thank you! I always overlooked point and shoots.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The filters bring a pretty penny!!! Don't overlook the 35mm film cans either the collectors really like the aluminum ones. The flash bulbs will double in price if you make little oak display bases to set them in. Sheeze even flash cubes are good money. Hint - Remember the photo lab guy will only offer you around 1/3 what their worth. Check the sides of the filters for type & size and do your homework for values / prices before you take them in. Don't jump on any old offer! There's a fairly large market people don't realize.

EXCELLENT buy! You don't know how well you did! And you've got a cool Harbor Freight tool case to boot!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you will get way more on eBAY than a local store. He will just mark them up and sell them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions