When you donate, remember who had boots on the ground during the Harvey disaster...

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Salvation Army has been doing quite a bit for the flood victims of Hurricane Harvey here in Texas. The front page of their website is dedicated to the victims of this disaster.

On the flip side of the coin, you can not even find a mention of Harvey anywhere on the Goodwill website. They are a joke.

Remember those who actually use their profits to help out in the community next time you or your family decide to donate.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to side with one company or the other.
But goodwill is not a disaster response company they provide job training for ex cons ,handicapped and others.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to side with one company or the other.
But goodwill is not a disaster response company they provide job training for ex cons ,handicapped and others.

Right, and pay those that they employ well under federal minimum wage. Either way, it would have been nice of them to at least pretend like they provide some sort of community service - especially when thousands need actual help right now.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Goodwill pays their workers under Federal Minimum Wage, hold them to a demerit system which can cost them their jobs, and pay their executives huge sums.

Additionally, local Goodwills here sort precious metals out of their jewelry case and ship them to the regional headquarters for the big boys to market, keep themselves, or whatever they do. We don't see them, they're not available for picking....

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the one that gets me "Would you like to round up to the nearest dollar". The difference is suppose to be going to a charity but I bet there is no charity section on the receipt. Goodwell gets credit for donating xxx while it is the customer donating the money.

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the one that gets me "Would you like to round up to the nearest dollar". The difference is suppose to be going to a charity but I bet there is no charity section on the receipt. Goodwell gets credit for donating xxx while it is the customer donating the money.

I seem to get this plea to round up everywhere I go these days. I'm tired of saying, "not today." I can't say that I have any "ill will" toward what Goodwill is. They are pretty clear that they provide job training and placement. And like most charities, the people at the top seem to be quite well paid and enjoy great benefits. I didn't know about the loophole that allows them to pay less than minimum wage (I don't like that, but who else will employee people who are unable to be fully productive?). I can't really say that I blame them for maximizing their income either; if I was them, then I would pull out the best stuff and sell it at auction as well. I regularly hit five Goodwills near me. I've only found one piece of sterling in two years. Granted, there are a lot of pickers in my area as well. The other chain thrift store in my area is a for profit company--but they take "donations." At the end of the day, I prefer to donate my used goods to one of the local thrifts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread