1912 Ty Cobb Hassan Tobacco Tri-Fold Card Big $$

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to one of my favorite local thrift stores today, mom and pop that donates all proceeds to local charities. Came across a box of cards, mostly baseball but some football and basketball. Most of the cards are '60's to '80's. Buuuuttttt, in the middle of the two rows filling the shoe box with some old Kellogg's cards and Hostess ones I spotted this.....Ty Cobb! Cobb2.JPG Cobb1.JPG Has some issues but for 105 years old! Pretty sweet to me. Only one exactly like it on eBay is listed at $2200. This one not worth as much but bet a couple hundred is not out of the question.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely an awesome find but I would have it checked out. There are lots of reprints out there. I did see a similar slabbed one on eBay with the best price $750 OBO. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505045826.806472.jpg

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely get an expert to look at it. Coloring doesn't look right to me--but that might just be the monitor. Good luck! That would make my heart stop!!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely get an expert to look at it. Coloring doesn't look right to me--but that might just be the monitor. Good luck! That would make my heart stop!!

I am no expert but what worries me is the 'dot-matrix' printing effect of the photograph, in 1912 this would have been printed on a press, not likely to give that effect.

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am no expert but what worries me is the 'dot-matrix' printing effect of the photograph, in 1912 this would have been printed on a press, not likely to give that effect.

Yeah, that's one thing that bothers me too. If you look at the eBay graded one I linked further up, to me it looks to have the same effect, mostly on the Cobb side. So I'm lost until I can afford to send it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions