OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to the store to check the other jars in hopes of finding that $1500+ bezel. No such luck, but I did get a jar with a 14k Bulova and a 10k diamond ring. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506832186.248718.jpg

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Said it before & I'll say it again. The stores in your area are higher end than the ones here.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an awesome find/purchase! However, if I see another Thrift Store $20 Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster purchase on here, I am going to strangle somebody.:BangHead: They never have any high end watches or even mid-range valued watches at any of the Thrift Stores anywhere near me. The apparently sort and cherrypick everything that come in and you can't even find a decent Gold bracelet, necklace or even ring.

Frank

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntsman, I did pick up an old ladies Omega and a 14k/Steel ladies Omega since these finds. Since they were not Speedmasters or Seamasters, I think we are safe to. It get strangled. LOL. I sold the small gold Omega for $250 today to help pay for the Speedmaster fees. Having a service bezel, replacement pusher, and new crown screw/gasket put on. Should be done tomorrow. Eventually I will get it fully serviced or sell it for $5K.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman, I did pick up an old ladies Omega and a 14k/Steel ladies Omega since these finds. Since they were not Speedmasters or Seamasters, I think we are safe to. It get strangled. LOL. I sold the small gold Omega for $250 today to help pay for the Speedmaster fees. Having a service bezel, replacement pusher, and new crown screw/gasket put on. Should be done tomorrow. Eventually I will get it fully serviced or sell it for $5K.

I bow down and concede to your almighty Omega prowess! Humbled!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh I think selling as is would be a BIG mistake. Seriously, in serviced condition this could classify as an original never polished/restored vintage Speedmaster. This would go for well more than 5k and will only go up over time, never never will it ever drop in price.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh I think selling as is would be a BIG mistake. Seriously, in serviced condition this could classify as an original never polished/restored vintage Speedmaster. This would go for well more than 5k and will only go up over time, never never will it ever drop in price.

You are killing me Spartcom5. LOL! I keep saying that and then I think "the vintage Speedmaster bubble might burst, get your $$ now". But you are right...in never polished/restored condition...the value remains high. I'm now on the "I'm keeping this baby" side again!

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hard to imagine .. whoever priced it at $20 must of thought it was worthless.. but took a gamble and stuck on $20 price tag because it's fancy-looking. Amazing good fortune you have !

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to imagine .. whoever priced it at $20 must of thought it was worthless.. but took a gamble and stuck on $20 price tag because it's fancy-looking. Amazing good fortune you have !

The $20 was for the entire jar of jewelry with the watch just part of it. On great days...they just grow stuff in and put a price tag on what they think it will sell for. I’m trying to enjoy it while it lasts. The employees are pulling out their smart phones in the sorting area and starting to research more items when they have time.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates on what became of this watch?

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I took it to a local jeweler whose watch guy does Rolex watches. She was an older lady. After 3 months, she became sick and a family member contacted me and had the watch. The crystal had been replaced and the crown attaches and a new pusher located and put on. I’m not sure who do it...but they scratched the dial near the 6. I didn’t notice until I put it up for auction on eBay. A couple folks pointed it out to me as the bids were at $3000.00. Final bid was $7000 and I had to contact the winner and let him know about the scratch. He was no longer interested. The next morning I then just listed the watch (with the damage pointed out) at $4995.00. I did it from my desk at work and went for coffee. My boss said “You should just cancel it and list it as an auction again!”. So I went back to my desk 20 minutes later and the watch was sold! A guy in Malaysia was very happy to have it and left great feedback. In fact, the watch was mentioned a couple times on Omegaforum. I kinda miss it, but every time I bump my Fossil, or Raymond Weil, or Omega Seamaster against a door jam, I think “ I would be pissed if I was wearing that moon watch!”.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, if I had let a recommended watchmaker restore the watch, it would have been worth over $10,000.00 easily.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if I had let a recommended watchmaker restore the watch, it would have been worth over $10,000.00 easily.

What an unbelievable score! Back in the late 1990s I bought one like your Omega Speedmaster. I believe I must have paid around $500 for it. I sold it during a challenging financial time. Congratulations.

artslinger

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to a local jeweler whose watch guy does Rolex watches. She was an older lady. After 3 months, she became sick and a family member contacted me and had the watch. The crystal had been replaced and the crown attaches and a new pusher located and put on. I’m not sure who do it...but they scratched the dial near the 6. I didn’t notice until I put it up for auction on eBay. A couple folks pointed it out to me as the bids were at $3000.00. Final bid was $7000 and I had to contact the winner and let him know about the scratch. He was no longer interested. The next morning I then just listed the watch (with the damage pointed out) at $4995.00. I did it from my desk at work and went for coffee. My boss said “You should just cancel it and list it as an auction again!”. So I went back to my desk 20 minutes later and the watch was sold! A guy in Malaysia was very happy to have it and left great feedback. In fact, the watch was mentioned a couple times on Omegaforum. I kinda miss it, but every time I bump my Fossil, or Raymond Weil, or Omega Seamaster against a door jam, I think “ I would be pissed if I was wearing that moon watch!”.

Thanks for the update! Do you have the picture after?

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527090393.918768.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527090420.913849.jpg
If you look at the hour markers. The marker material shows less remaining than what I posted originally. I didn’t even notice it. Still a great score and I might buy a newer Omega Speedmaster one day. They are beautiful watches. But I would be too paranoid and overprotective of a watch worth $7K and up. I still have two Seamasters though. Both from GW.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1593550 View attachment 1593552
If you look at the hour markers. The marker material shows less remaining than what I posted originally. I didn’t even notice it. Still a great score and I might buy a newer Omega Speedmaster one day. They are beautiful watches. But I would be too paranoid and overprotective of a watch worth $7K and up. I still have two Seamasters though. Both from GW.

Congratulations on a great score.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread