May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit one of my frequent thrift stores and spied 8 cordial cups with all the silver plated items. They were eight pieces for $3.99. Fortunately all eight were marked Gorham Sterling. I paid for the items and as I was leaving the receipt checker at the door (they have a theft problem) asked me if I was interested in the Sterling cordial cups in the case. She said she had taken them out and had them checked for the melt value and would sell them to me for $45. Huh?? I said no thank you and left. I am now wondering if the eight cups I purchased were the ones that were in the case and that one of the other people at the store put them out for sale at the $3.99 price. Needless to say I will not be going back for a while and hopefully they will forget. I'm a little conflicted on this one. I don't want to get a bad reputation with them. Of course there's the other option that they were testing me and I can say I failed the test. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506477297.455040.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506477314.828606.jpg

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
No need to wait, if those are the same cups, they will remember you. Haha! But you got lucky! The fact that she checked the melt value...wow! That store is serious about their stuff! At least it's for the store I guess.
Even though I still get lucky with jewelry at a particular store, a fellow picker said she works across the street from a pawn shop and sees the thrift store employee who does the jewelry "visiting the pawn shop regularly".

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: "No, thank you!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread