Antique Silver Brooch- help needed

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know just enough about jewelry to overspend. I like brooches even though their popularity has long since waned and found this at my local 2nd Avenue.

I believe based on the clasp, it dates from the Victorian age (late 1800's) and that's about as far as I've gotten. I couldn't find anything to match what I assume is the maker's mark on the reverse. Am I correct in my date assumption? Is there a name for this kind of floral design or any significance to it? Am I correct in thinking this is probably an American piece? I don't think it's a high dollar item but I do like to learn the history of older items.

Any info the good experts can provide to send me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

FullSizeR (1).jpg FullSizeR (2).jpg FullSizeR (3).jpg FullSizeR (4).jpg FullSizeR (5).jpg FullSizeR (6).jpg FullSizeR.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems about the right date. I don't recognize the makers mark. Solid too. Very nice

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think it's later 19th century Victorian buy the C clasp. May take some looking to ID that mark. Sometimes you can still only find information in books at the library. That's a wonderful find.

Attachments

• 9837603_f520.jpg
    9837603_f520.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 69

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the style is Art Nouveau

Google art nouveau silver flower brooch

Top Member Reactions