Toy bronze cannon on wooden carriage: opinions on age?

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
The only sterling I have gotten at a TS this year was a top of crystal salt shaker that weighed less than a gram. So, being envious of ya'll's many great finds, I gave up and picked this up for $5 at Goodwill to put on my shelf instead of for resale. It kinda screamed 1960's-1970's décor, but when I tried to research it to find out more, I couldn't find much. Information on listings is all over the place.
The bronze barrel is 7" and the entire thing is 11".
Anyone have thoughts on its age? I am no expert on stuff like this, but it seems to have some very modern elements (modern tacks? and the washer on the wheel?) and some artificial attempts at aging (fake worm holes?).
Any opinions welcome.
IMG_9096_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9102_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9103_edited-1.jpg
IMG_9104_edited-1.JPG
Thanks

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! The main thing about cannon value is if the hole for firing is drilled through. If so, you can call it a signal or black powder cannon for auction purposes and it’s $100 and up. If not, it’s a model and the value drops a lot. I just blow in the barrel to tell.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! The main thing about cannon value is if the hole for firing is drilled through. If so, you can call it a signal or black powder cannon for auction purposes and it’s $100 and up. If not, it’s a model and the value drops a lot. I just blow in the barrel to tell.

That is good info. It is definitely drilled through. It's kinda funny that one detail makes such a difference. Thanks

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it to be a mid century tourist item.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Does the Barrel smell like Powder goldnugget Maybe swab the inside if the barrel with a ( Q Tip )

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The barrel may be from a signal cannon but the gun carriage i dont think would be.It could also be a presentation piece to a retiring officer,naval maybe or field artillery.Its definitely a field gun carriage though not naval.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread