tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got two big thrift stores near by to look in pretty frequently. I always check the watches in hopes of finding something good. It's been a while that either place they would have anything I like in watches, but I'll go for this Citizens moon phase that looks like it came from the 1990s ?. Looking on eBay I see them listed as a Citizen 2870 moon phase and they've sold as low as $19 to over $100. in nice condition. This one's really nice and still has the original citizen strap. The batteries dead and the one in it hasn't leaked, so it should be good to go, but that's not always the case. I bought this really nice and expensive when new quartz Movado once and put a battery in and it didn't go. I took it to the watch repair guy and he looked a minute at the movement and asked did I open the back and I said yeah. He then said well someone nicked the coil on by using something wrong to open it. So that was bummer and I made only a little selling it as-is.

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_084700.jpg
    IMG_20171119_084700.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20171119_085038.jpg
    IMG_20171119_085038.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that exact watch on a different band and it is a good watch. I did have to get the batteries off ebay as they are not readily available locally. Also, if you buy it and do try to change the battery, be careful removing the battery as there is a small piece of gold metal holding it in, if you twist the battery, you can pop that off and the battery will not stay. I was able to reattach the piece and with the proper case closer shut the case without cracking the crystal and it works fine. I also have the same watch with a dark face. That is a good price on it.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pass on Citizens. Just my preference.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pass on Citizens. Just my preference.
Why? I've always thought Citizen to be equal to Seiko. I had once a vintage Citizen JET Automatic with this odd design ring gear rotor. I didn't buy this one for me, but to sell as some people think any kind of moon phase is cool. I've done good on some good name quartz watches from time to time. I'm thinking I'll get 45-50 bucks out a this one. It's original suggested list was $140.00 when it was new.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that exact watch on a different band and it is a good watch. I did have to get the batteries off ebay as they are not readily available locally. Also, if you buy it and do try to change the battery, be careful removing the battery as there is a small piece of gold metal holding it in, if you twist the battery, you can pop that off and the battery will not stay. I was able to reattach the piece and with the proper case closer shut the case without cracking the crystal and it works fine. I also have the same watch with a dark face. That is a good price on it.
I've got Batteries Plus in town now, but they'd probably want 8 bucks if they got it. They almost always do have what ya want, but I do know watch batteries online can be heck of a value.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why? I've always thought Citizen to be equal to Seiko. I had once a vintage Citizen JET Automatic with this odd design ring gear rotor. I didn't buy this one for me, but to sell as some people think any kind of moon phase is cool. I've done good on some good name quartz watches from time to time. I'm thinking I'll get 45-50 bucks out a this one. It's original suggested list was $140.00 when it was new.

They are great watches. Just my preference. Although it would be hard to pass up a JET automatic. I’m actually liquidating a lot of my watches now. I kind a got a little crazy and I want to focus on a few nice or interesting ones that I will wear. If anyone’s looking for anything in particular let me know. I just might have it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread