Anyone ever find unmarked silver or gold?

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting on my test kit that I ordered, but did not want to pass up this set of earings with that deep yellow color. They are fairly heavy for the size but no markings whatsoever.....i did bite them and it left a mark...so they are malleable. Also the large necklace in the center is heavy and looks like it could be silver....has the black tarnish all over it. And lastly, the ring with the coin....its definitely a coin...just don't know if it is real or fake.

20171210_143100.jpg

20171210_143137.jpg

20171210_143157.jpg

20171210_143213.jpg

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the clasp look like on the necklace? I think the earrings are gold plated copper. But could be wrong. The ring is sweet though!

I have found gold not marked.. It was not a requirement in any other country besides the United States and I don’t think that happened until like the 1940s. So there’s definitely some stuff out there.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have on both. I don’t think the earrings are but the ring looks good.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Sure.
Found this old screw-back earring I suspect might be gold but didn't have a test kit at the time.
Now I do but I lost it somewhere and as soon as I find it I will finally know.

This ring is definitely 14k white and yellow gold without a mark on it.
It is unusually large compared to most I find and I suspect it was resized and somehow lost its markings during that process.

I have found several pieces if unmarked silver too, mostly broken jewelry that were missing the part with he mark.
I have seen enough silver come out of the ground to recognize it pretty well when I see it, however.

Attachments

• photostudio_1512990893204.jpg
    photostudio_1512990893204.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 112
  • photostudio_1512990742693.jpg
    photostudio_1512990742693.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep! Unmarked stuff is certainly out there. It's what I target at the thrifts. The unmarked gold is either very high karat, very old, or the mark has been lost due to a resize or normal wear. In fact I would say that I find more unmarked gold than unmarked silver. But almost everything has a mark of some kind. Be it a number, a karat, a symbol, a character in another language... But if it's very yellow and buttery looking, noticeably heavy for it's size, and non magnetic, I buy it every time.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
All unmarked gold (well the coin is pretty clear for those who know) that I have picked up in the last couple weeks. Also picked up an 18k gold necklace (12g) a couple days ago that had no markings at all that could be read. It’s out there for sure! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513004256.559049.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513004298.727385.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that hasn't been mentioned here. Get some good jewelry books or look to sites that deal with vintage jewelry! A lot of times you'll find that your jewelry is WAY more valuable as is than it is for melt. An example is Avon stuff! No metal valuable but people will pay big $$ for it. I've got pieces that in my opinion are candidates for the trash bucket but are worth $50 up collectible prices. I have a Girl Guides pin that I've seen only one of that I almost chucked. The lady that owns the other one hinted that she'd turned down $1000 offers. Some of the unmarked stuff is one off by an artist, so if you can locate it researching you find you just sold a $10000 piece for melt! Over the years I think I've made way more off "costume" jewelry than gold & silver pieces. Hint - When you get your test kit throw out the little wood box and put your acids & stone in a little plastic fishing lure box. That & a diamond tester fits in a shirt pocket. If anyone is looking to buy a test kit, look into buying your acids & stone separately. Way cheaper!

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unmarked gold and silver is something I really like to come by. Its very often times under valued. I've got a couple of gold wristwatches that weren't marked on the back cover, but are marked on the inside. Keep your thumb nail a bit less trimmed for any of those you might come by.

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI, my wedding ring has no marking, for religious reasons. I've also had some rings resized, and lost the marks.

I've found a LOT of gold and silver that isn't marked. You start to get an eye for it. One thing that may help is to go to a big department store, and look at the real jewelry and look at the fake. When you have both at home, put them together to see the differences. I usually wear my 14K rings on my left hand (engagement, wedding, and anniversary bands). I will usually wear something that is 10K on my right hand. You can put a piece of jewelry up to the rings to compare. If it's cheap and you are willing to risk it, go for it.

And about the costume, yah, some pieces are AMAZING! I got a box that had a bunch of Avon in it. I tripled my money on 3 brooches, and still had a ton of good stuff left.

Sometimes when I can't fall asleep, I do searches on sold items on ebay .... vintage rhinestone brooch, avon brooch, lots, etc. Whatever interests me. Sometimes I do a search for silpada earrings or bracelets .... you never know what you will see one day and find IRL a week or two or three later. Just learn to file it away in your head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread