tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up from a indoor flea market this week for $4.50 + tax. It was in a tray with mostly costume jewelry. It wasn't marked, but that extra fancy pin clasp with an additional little flip up locking device said to me you wanna take extra precaution this piece won't come unpinned. I took it by the pawn shop yesterday and they a did scratch testing and I watched the acid for a good 30 seconds. The lady says it holds higher than 14K, so she wasn't sure what purity of gold it is being the color didn't look 18k, but she would pay as if it is 14k if I want. The turquoise stone is unlike most American turquoise I've seen with these milky quartz inclusions within it, so I'm guessing it's maybe Persian turquoise?

Attachments

• IMG_20180105_080624.jpg
    IMG_20180105_080624.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20180105_080743.jpg
    IMG_20180105_080743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great piece!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The turquoise is similar to varieties I have seen from sources in Nevada. I am less familiar with other North American,
West Asian, and Middle Eastern sources, so please take my opinion for what you have paid for it.

Determining the manufacturer of the gold piece should go a long way toward identifying the source of the turquoise. Many turquoise jewelry makers in New Mexico, Arizona, West Texas, and Nevada will not work with turquoise from outside North America. A few insist on the specific deposit to be identified prior to purchasing rough.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did in fact look at many verities of Western US turquoise and yes some from Nevada did look close. I also learned about a turquoise mine north of out shop in Carlin, Nevada that has produced some rare and valuable specimens. I don't know a lot about turquoise. Do you think this has it's natural unenhanced color? The way the piece is made leads me to think it's early 20th century. It also has 3 tiny bales with 2 hooks brazed on the back, so I think the pin was added and this is only a piece of what once was a more elaborate necklace at one time?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread