Help on Pricing at an antique store

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get a section in an antique store to try out. I’ve bought stuff from them all the time but I’ve never sold anything. So when I put my stuff in there, do I want to price it below eBay prices? Or at eBay prices or nothing to do with eBay prices. I have a 10’ tall cabinet and a 2 shelf display case that i have to get a lock for. They are already at the store and I can use their displays. I have more stuff to take and I have to wire couple more fans up. my photo it’s just the top half of the display case. I have to fill in the rest below along with the glass cabinet. But any suggestion on pricing? They don’t charge monthly but they charge 35 percent of all sales.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515298230.603686.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515298296.853931.jpg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to price it at what you paid time 3 plus 10% Unless you totally killed it on the purchase then price it at market. You need to make three times your money. 1/3 cost 1/3 rent 1/3 profit the ten percent is for room to negotiate by the buyer at the store.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what trd said plus more if its something you'd rather keep :D

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Im going to put watches in the case i think. There’s really nothing in the whole store and I have a couple that are probably $25-60 plus some vintage stuff I can probably put in there as well that should do good. Along with some pocket watches. Just need to pick up some display boxes for them.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you do well, when I don't know a price I go by eBay's prices. Tdrking has the right idea, but I usually buy something when I can at least double my money. Your display looks nice! Its helpful to post pictures of your booth on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. You might also price it a little higher and then put it on sale. I wish I hadn't given away my old fans! Happy selling!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've been selling in a mall for years, paying monthly rent, not sure I would like to sell on a percent basis like that. I sometimes look at SOLD prices on eBay and then price about half of that. Something selling for $100 on eBay I would be lucky to get $50 in my neck of the woods, but it all depends on how long you want it to sit on the shelf. Being that you are selling on a percent basis, I think pricing high and waiting might be the way to go. I have to turn items quicker to make any money. Seems to me that dealers who specialize in certain items have a harder time making a profit because they are forced to buy related goods. I just buy whatever is REALLY cheap (EXEPT DISHES THEY SIT FOREVER!) and not get greedy with pricing. ANY type of box or container always sells, I don't care if it is a cargo trunk, matchbox, cigar box, jewelry box, it will sell. Clocks can be had cheap too sometimes, any kind that does not take batteries, and always sell as well. Fans do sell well even if price is a little steep, just hard to pick them up for a good price to begin with. Looking good, good luck!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been selling in a mall for years, paying monthly rent, not sure I would like to sell on a percent basis like that. I sometimes look at SOLD prices on eBay and then price about half of that. Something selling for $100 on eBay I would be lucky to get $50 in my neck of the woods, but it all depends on how long you want it to sit on the shelf. Being that you are selling on a percent basis, I think pricing high and waiting might be the way to go. I have to turn items quicker to make any money. Seems to me that dealers who specialize in certain items have a harder time making a profit because they are forced to buy related goods. I just buy whatever is REALLY cheap (EXEPT DISHES THEY SIT FOREVER!) and not get greedy with pricing. ANY type of box or container always sells, I don't care if it is a cargo trunk, matchbox, cigar box, jewelry box, it will sell. Clocks can be had cheap too sometimes, any kind that does not take batteries, and always sell as well. Fans do sell well even if price is a little steep, just hard to pick them up for a good price to begin with. Looking good, good luck!

Thank you for the advice. I was talking with the owner about putting in a display case full of watches and she wasn’t sure about it but then some guy came in and asked if There was any vintage watches for sale and she said no and he said he was looking around town and there’s not any for sale in that area that are other than at the Rolex dealer who you know their prices are probably crazy. So she turned to me and said oh he’s going to be putting in watches within the week if you want to stop back on Friday or Saturday there should be a good selection here to choose from. It’s like I paid that guy to come in there to say that. Nothing high dollar probably $15 up to 80 bucks. But stuff that’s just going to sit on line forever so may as well try it down there. Our area is very tourist so the season right now maybe I’ll move some of these older and larger pieces I have laying around.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you gonna display the watches in a locked case and will the store owner be willing to open it up for anyone interested in them?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you gonna display the watches in a locked case and will the store owner be willing to open it up for anyone interested in them?

Yes. And I’m not taking anything I value. Probably $80 at most.

I have to go talk to her about which display case to use. The brown one is free but Im able to get the glass one with five shelves thats lighted.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515645127.677904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515645145.277048.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515895709.042949.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515895744.260550.jpg

Booth and case so far. I have to put a light in the case tomorrow. No big deal. Sold a rifle barrel for some Iraq gun that was damaged and a clarinet my wife use to play in high school. Hahaha

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looking good Beachkid! Let us know how the watches sell, they are one area I haven't learned much about. I do have a list of brands to keep an eye out for but have not committed to memory or bought many yet. Nice display!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would want to double my investment and add the cost of doing business, rental, percentage paid etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread