Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By Beachkid23
  • 5 Post By trdking
  • 1 Post By Obsessive
  • 3 Post By Beachkid23
  • 2 Post By diggingthe1
  • 2 Post By RW
  • 3 Post By Beachkid23
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 4 Post By Beachkid23
  • 1 Post By RW
  • 1 Post By RustyGold

Thread: Help on Pricing at an antique store

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help on Pricing at an antique store

I was able to get a section in an antique store to try out. Iíve bought stuff from them all the time but Iíve never sold anything. So when I put my stuff in there, do I want to price it below eBay prices? Or at eBay prices or nothing to do with eBay prices. I have a 10í tall cabinet and a 2 shelf display case that i have to get a lock for. They are already at the store and I can use their displays. I have more stuff to take and I have to wire couple more fans up. my photo itís just the top half of the display case. I have to fill in the rest below along with the glass cabinet. But any suggestion on pricing? They donít charge monthly but they charge 35 percent of all sales.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515298230.603686.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	1534487

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515298296.853931.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	1534489

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4141 times
    You need to price it at what you paid time 3 plus 10% Unless you totally killed it on the purchase then price it at market. You need to make three times your money. 1/3 cost 1/3 rent 1/3 profit the ten percent is for room to negotiate by the buyer at the store.
    Obsessive, Drmad7, tamrock and 2 others like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola, XP Deus w/ HF coils, & 11" LF. Land and Sea pinpointer
    714 times
    what trd said plus more if its something you'd rather keep
    trdking likes this.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times
    Thanks. Im going to put watches in the case i think. Thereís really nothing in the whole store and I have a couple that are probably $25-60 plus some vintage stuff I can probably put in there as well that should do good. Along with some pocket watches. Just need to pick up some display boxes for them.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times
    This is day 2

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515380816.384990.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	1534854
    tamrock, Drmad7 and kingskid1611 like this.

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO...City of Mines
    Minelab EQ800, Ex2
    1982 times
    I hope you do well, when I don't know a price I go by eBay's prices. Tdrking has the right idea, but I usually buy something when I can at least double my money. Your display looks nice! Its helpful to post pictures of your booth on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. You might also price it a little higher and then put it on sale. I wish I hadn't given away my old fans! Happy selling!
    Beachkid23 and RustyGold like this.

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    576 times
    Cache Hunting
    I've been selling in a mall for years, paying monthly rent, not sure I would like to sell on a percent basis like that. I sometimes look at SOLD prices on eBay and then price about half of that. Something selling for $100 on eBay I would be lucky to get $50 in my neck of the woods, but it all depends on how long you want it to sit on the shelf. Being that you are selling on a percent basis, I think pricing high and waiting might be the way to go. I have to turn items quicker to make any money. Seems to me that dealers who specialize in certain items have a harder time making a profit because they are forced to buy related goods. I just buy whatever is REALLY cheap (EXEPT DISHES THEY SIT FOREVER!) and not get greedy with pricing. ANY type of box or container always sells, I don't care if it is a cargo trunk, matchbox, cigar box, jewelry box, it will sell. Clocks can be had cheap too sometimes, any kind that does not take batteries, and always sell as well. Fans do sell well even if price is a little steep, just hard to pick them up for a good price to begin with. Looking good, good luck!
    Beachkid23 and tamrock like this.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RW View Post
    I've been selling in a mall for years, paying monthly rent, not sure I would like to sell on a percent basis like that. I sometimes look at SOLD prices on eBay and then price about half of that. Something selling for $100 on eBay I would be lucky to get $50 in my neck of the woods, but it all depends on how long you want it to sit on the shelf. Being that you are selling on a percent basis, I think pricing high and waiting might be the way to go. I have to turn items quicker to make any money. Seems to me that dealers who specialize in certain items have a harder time making a profit because they are forced to buy related goods. I just buy whatever is REALLY cheap (EXEPT DISHES THEY SIT FOREVER!) and not get greedy with pricing. ANY type of box or container always sells, I don't care if it is a cargo trunk, matchbox, cigar box, jewelry box, it will sell. Clocks can be had cheap too sometimes, any kind that does not take batteries, and always sell as well. Fans do sell well even if price is a little steep, just hard to pick them up for a good price to begin with. Looking good, good luck!
    Thank you for the advice. I was talking with the owner about putting in a display case full of watches and she wasnít sure about it but then some guy came in and asked if There was any vintage watches for sale and she said no and he said he was looking around town and thereís not any for sale in that area that are other than at the Rolex dealer who you know their prices are probably crazy. So she turned to me and said oh heís going to be putting in watches within the week if you want to stop back on Friday or Saturday there should be a good selection here to choose from. Itís like I paid that guy to come in there to say that. Nothing high dollar probably $15 up to 80 bucks. But stuff thatís just going to sit on line forever so may as well try it down there. Our area is very tourist so the season right now maybe Iíll move some of these older and larger pieces I have laying around.
    RW, tamrock and kingskid1611 like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    14075 times
    Are you gonna display the watches in a locked case and will the store owner be willing to open it up for anyone interested in them?
    trdking likes this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Are you gonna display the watches in a locked case and will the store owner be willing to open it up for anyone interested in them?
    That is how it works, generally
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Yes. And Iím not taking anything I value. Probably $80 at most.

I have to go talk to her about which display case to use. The brown one is free but Im able to get the glass one with five shelves thats lighted.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515645127.677904.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	1535728

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515645145.277048.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	551.6 KB 
ID:	1535729

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4203 times

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515895709.042949.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	915.2 KB 
ID:	1536635

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515895744.260550.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	760.0 KB 
ID:	1536636

Booth and case so far. I have to put a light in the case tomorrow. No big deal. Sold a rifle barrel for some Iraq gun that was damaged and a clarinet my wife use to play in high school. Hahaha
    SDIceMan, Drmad7, RW and 1 others like this.

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    576 times
    Cache Hunting
    Looking good Beachkid! Let us know how the watches sell, they are one area I haven't learned much about. I do have a list of brands to keep an eye out for but have not committed to memory or bought many yet. Nice display!
    Beachkid23 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    4876 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I would want to double my investment and add the cost of doing business, rental, percentage paid etc.
    Beachkid23 likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links