maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best way to Discreetly test silver jewelry. I often go to auctions, and obviously cannot do an acid test or scratch any jewelry, so what methods can I use, with a reasonable chance of getting it right. I have found many items here, marked sterling or 925, that were not silver. Some items are stamped, others are without any stamp, and this is the land of counterfeits, so a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong.
So, what method do you thrift store people use!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go by eye and the way things are marked and get familiar with those marks. There's just that look of solid silver I believe I've come to know. How it's constructed is very important to understand. A magnets good, but a magnifier is a must. You wanna look close at any scratches to see if there's any underlying base metal such as copper or some other base metal. Study any piece of solid silver you come by. It may be over priced, but take advantage of the opportunity to look at it closely.

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm learning everyday. I actually just bought my first piece marked sterling that will stick to a magnet....rookie mistake to not check with a magnet at least...oh well live and learn.

My test kit did come with a small neodymium magnet that is fairly discreet in size...I may glue it to a junk ring and wear it while inspecting items.

Like Tamrock said...I'm getting used to how things are marked. Also I've noticed that clasps are constructed better on real items. Hope you can take something away from this.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a super powerful little magnet that I keep stuck to my car keys, that way , while poking through the jewelry I am discreetly checking the pieces. Good luck!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hallmarks, clasp types on necklaces/ bracelets, color- plated stuff turns green or oxidizes with a green blue hue in it.

One guy said he will put a small magnet under a bandaid to check discreetly.

Honestly i think it even has a certain smell to it. And if its a coin, flick the edge to see if it rings or fling in the air like playing heads or tails. It will ring if silver.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been given good advice here. The best being, the more you handle and familiarize yourself with different items made from sterling and plated silver, the easier it will be to spot silver by eye alone, 90% of the time. I will add that even some real sterling jewelry can be silver but be a designer knock off. So be wary of names like Tiffany & Co., Gucci, Cartier, etc.. You have to get to know the marks and more importantly the construction methods used.

Example... I picked up a sterling bead necklace yesterday for $1 (among other pieces). I got it home and looked closer and only then noticed a Tiffany & Co. tag on the chain. I know Tiffany always solders their clasp rings, this one wasn't, so I immediately suspected it was a fake. Then I noticed the other rings were split rings. I don't know of any Tiffany pieces using split rings either. My suspicions were confirmed. The necklace tests as sterling but it's not a Tiffany.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been given good advice here. The best being, the more you handle and familiarize yourself with different items made from sterling and plated silver, the easier it will be to spot silver by eye alone, 90% of the time. I will add that even some real sterling jewelry can be silver but be a designer knock off. So be wary of names like Tiffany & Co., Gucci, Cartier, etc.. You have to get to know the marks and more importantly the construction methods used.

Example... I picked up a sterling bead necklace yesterday for $1 (among other pieces). I got it home and looked closer and only then noticed a Tiffany & Co. tag on the chain. I know Tiffany always solders their clasp rings, this one wasn't, so I immediately suspected it was a fake. Then I noticed the other rings were split rings. I don't know of any Tiffany pieces using split rings either. My suspicions were confirmed. The necklace tests as sterling but it's not a Tiffany.
Yes good point. Last summer my local coin shop had a known William Spratling piece. Got my smart phone out and compared the marks. It was a fake and a dang good one at that. He wanted $160. for it. It would have been worth maybe $900. to $1200. if it was genuine. It had a lot silver in it and he did eventually sell it, but made no claim of it's authenticity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread