6 oz Madonna and child marked 925, but...

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main reason that I enjoy this hobby (looking for cool/old things) is curiosity. If I see something I have never seen before, then I want to know more about it. That is what makes this website so great. I saw this at a local thrift store, picked it up because of the toning, and saw "925" in big, bold numbers on the back. The toning on the piece (gold, rose, copper) is actually quite attractive. That being said, the size of the marking made me suspect that this is a tourist piece from Europe or Israel that is plated. Then I noticed an engraving on Mary's lower left leg. It seems to say "Sam" and then about four more letters that I can't make out. Its definitely metal (not resin) and hollow. She's about 4.25" tall.

There is no maker's mark (unless it is under the felt) which is another red flag suggesting that it is plated.

I can't find anything like it online

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks

IMG_9933_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9934_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9935_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9936_edited-1.JPG
IMG_9937_edited-1.jpg

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned a candle holder in the past that was similarly marked with the prominent ‘925’, and I discovered it was ‘electroformed’ silver.

According to Google:

“The designs are made using the electroforming process, which is the formation of a layer of sterling silver over a mold of resin (similar to hard plastic). This method allows the creation of beautifully designed sterling silver sculptures and silverware with stunning detail in any shape or size without the heavy weight and cost that is typical to conventional solid sterling silver.”

“The electroforming process is when the artist takes the resin mold and puts it in a tub of charged sterling silver. Over a 10-12 hour process, the sterling electrically forms (i.e. electroform) itself to the mold. Then, the artist removes the piece and handcrafts more details, including oxidation for depth. After the final designs, a clear coat is added to the product.”

The whole idea that electroformed silver can be marked ‘925’ is a touchy subject with me, because I overpaid for the candle holder I purchased. To me it is just a glorified form of silverplate. Technically, however, it is different. Again from the web:

“There is a vast difference between electroforming sterling silver and silver plate. As opposed to the electroforming process mentioned above, silver plating is not sterling silver. With plating, a mold is quickly dipped in a silver-colored metal alloy. The process takes seconds and the silver alloy will not last a long time. There is an immense difference in the quality.”

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it is a nice piece regardless of coating. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole idea that electroformed silver can be marked ‘925’ is a touchy subject with me, because I overpaid for the candle holder I purchased. To me it is just a glorified form of silverplate. Technically, however, it is different. Again from the web:

“There is a vast difference between electroforming sterling silver and silver plate. As opposed to the electroforming process mentioned above, silver plating is not sterling silver. With plating, a mold is quickly dipped in a silver-colored metal alloy. The process takes seconds and the silver alloy will not last a long time. There is an immense difference in the quality.”

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of electroforming. I agree that it seems like a type of silver plating that should be marked as such. After using your information about electroforming, I am convinced that this is electroformed. This video helped a lot and the large 925 and a similar figure show up in the video. Apparently, electroforming started in the 80's in Israel and is most commonly used in Italy and Israel so my instincts about it being a tourist piece seem confirmed.

Thanks again--that really helped my research.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I have owned a candle holder in the past that was similarly marked with the prominent ‘925’, and I discovered it was ‘electroformed’ silver.

According to Google:

“The designs are made using the electroforming process, which is the formation of a layer of sterling silver over a mold of resin (similar to hard plastic). This method allows the creation of beautifully designed sterling silver sculptures and silverware with stunning detail in any shape or size without the heavy weight and cost that is typical to conventional solid sterling silver.”

“The electroforming process is when the artist takes the resin mold and puts it in a tub of charged sterling silver. Over a 10-12 hour process, the sterling electrically forms (i.e. electroform) itself to the mold. Then, the artist removes the piece and handcrafts more details, including oxidation for depth. After the final designs, a clear coat is added to the product.”

That quote sounds like it was written by someone in the electroforming business. Silver plate can be made many different ways......but all of those methods involve the use of "real" silver. Having said that, I don't know of any method of silver plating that has enough silver to justify the cost of recovery.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the electroformed pieces you can actually get a sheet of silver off of them. I had a bunch of 1980’s fredric duclos earrings - all singles. Crushed em up and refined them. Obviously wouldn’t do that with the statue, but it does have actual silver content.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it. If you are at work, lower your volume before you click the link or your co-workers are going to wonder what the hell you're up to. :laughing9:

Huh! My browser, Safari, doesn't play anything when I'm on that page. Sorry if it's something loud!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! My browser, Safari, doesn't play anything when I'm on that page. Sorry if it's something loud!

No worries, it's some gospel hymn that autoplays when you click on it - at least on my windows machine running mozilla. :cat:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score and great research everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions