Opinion on Japanese Vase ~ Purchase or Pass?

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I was looking to get a little input on this hand-painted porcelain vase I saw at my local thrift today. If anyone on this forum can read Japanese, that would be especially helpful. The vase itself is fairly unspectacular in my opinion, but on the bottom, I could see that someone has indicated it is a piece from the New York World’s Fair. It looks like the wording on the bottom was painted on and then someone laid clear tape over it so the paint wouldn’t come off. I made the mistake of not getting my hand or something in the photograph to show the scale, but the vase is probably about 15 to 18 inches tall. Here are a few photos. Maybe someone has an idea if this was on display at the World’s Fair or just a souvenir piece? All opinions are appreciated. Thank you, and happy hunting!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519763084.029806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519763097.145650.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519763108.519118.jpg
Update: I used a translate app on my phone and got the word “refreshment” from the Japanese characters. Maybe this was a sake carafe used in one of the restaurants in the House of Japan?

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert but I would pass. It doesn’t seem that exceptional she noted and I don’t think it’s really old enough to have any value even with the worlds fair connection.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mass production for souvenir sales at the fair. Not emari. Writing on the bottom is from the buyer at the fair. I'd pass. Maybe $5 if you just like it.
(Me...15 total years in Japan and speak fluently. Father was a serious collector of Japanese art and pottery)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always good to ask, cuz you can't always know. In recent years I've avoided pottery and ceramics, except those that are still highly sought-after if by chance I come by any. Anything heavy anymore kindof kills the deal in shipping in recent years. I think it's all gone up on the average person in order to cover all the deals in shipping Amazon is able to offer. I recently sold a camera to Australia and it cost more in shipping than the camera sold for. I only made 12 bucks on the deal. I'm on a mission to get rid of the crap I shouldn't have bought, so 12 bucks profit is better than a loss.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread