Towle Stainless

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was perusing GW, and had spent a pretty good amount of time with little to show for it, found a super soaker, which do pretty well during the summer. was about to leave, and saw where someone had stashed bags inside a planter (probably to come back for later)
40 pcs of Towle 18/8 Colonial Plume and some other misc pieces in there.
$13 out the door
20180307_104556.jpg 20180307_104609.jpg 20180307_110310.jpg

Threw the Towle o fleabay $495 obo, got and offer for $250 within a couple minutes. I think I will wait a bit to respond

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$250! I need to review stainless again. Take it and run.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I do well with stainless. The key is to know what brands/patterns sell and/or be willing to look each one up. I bought my first set a few years ago at a local thrift because it was the same pattern the wife picked for our wedding and we needed extra forks and spoons. Paid $15 for the set, kept about a 1/4 of it, & sold the rest for over $200. Been on the lookout ever since. I've picked up several sets in the $5-20 range that I've sold for $200-500. Have also picked up sets at estate sales in the $40-80 range that I've sold for $300+. I part most sets out in lots by type or place setting.

Biggest stainless mistake I ever made was at an estate sale. They had 2 sets of the same pattern priced separately for a total of almost $400. I figured no one local would buy at that price so I left a bid of about 60%. Unfortunately someone else was willing to pay full price. I conservatively estimate there was $1250+ in stainless. What's funny is I would have jumped all over that price spread if it was sterling flatware or gold jewelry....

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really:icon_scratch: I've seen some nice complete boxed sets a few times at a bargain. Guess I better do some research on those.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I think we live in a world of inverted values. I find stainless actually sells better than sterling, sometimes it can fetch as much or more than sterling flatware. I struggle sometimes to sell quality tools, or nice antique furniture, but the cheap harbor freight and ikea stuff sells quickly. Perhaps it is because I know they are crap, and sell them cheaply, but I have also tried selling nice pieces cheaply and people simply do not want them.

As far as stainless look for pierced patterns. 18/8 and 18/10, things a magnet wont stick to, and heavy pieces.

oh.. and i took an offer of $280 +ship, i countered 250 to 330, and we settled near te middle

Last edited:
OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180308_193900.jpg
lately GW has been putting jewlery back to back in little bags with a sheet of thin cardboard between so you cant see the back. Got a little excited over this cross tonight, it was backed against a cheap anne klein pin.

After seeing the back i think i threw away $2 lol, oh well cant win them all

20180308_193929.jpg
20180308_193915.jpg

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to my amazement, i acid tested the cross this morning and it is sterling, unmarked. Blue stone looks like turquoise, not sure what the green is.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue stone looks like turquoise, not sure what the green is.

Malachite? Not 100% positive on that, but I had a Native American belt buckle with turquoise and malachite inlay, and the stones looked similar. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm. Nice find!

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"All real silver says sterling, or silver on it"

That cross pendant looks good to me. It looks like some of the more modern native sterling turquoise inlay stuff. Green and blue turquoise set in sterling. Unsigned and unmarked. I think you’ve been listing to that lady that prices stuff too much and she’s rubbing off on you.

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesnt really have the right color or lines for malachite, its a paler green with yellowish/golden tones
20180309_123816.jpg
Its decent quality, but not as cleanly inlaid as nicer pieces I have seen. Before seeing the back I expected to see Taxco stamps

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cross pendant looks good to me. It looks like some of the more modern native sterling turquoise inlay stuff. Green and blue turquoise set in sterling. Unsigned and unmarked. I think you’ve been listing to that lady that prices stuff too much and she’s rubbing off on you.

haha, could be. Been finding more unmarked than marked lately. And I think you are right on blue & green turquoise. Rarely find green so not used to looking at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180315_122917.jpg 20180315_125311.jpg
Well I was wrong about the cross being unmarked. It is marked, very hard to see, much harder to read and impossible to photograph with my phone. What it is marked is even more surprising to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread