First time buying junk jewelry box....WOW

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to a flea market and this is the first time I've ever bought a bin of junk jewelry. I usually think it's been searched and it's all junk. But I kind of dug through and seen some rings that could of been worth it so I said screw it I'll buy it and hope there's allot more in there. The bin was $15 and it's one of those plastic contnainers about 6x12.. so I got home and just took a big scoop and set it on the table so I can see all the small stuff like rings, pendants, and earrings. My aunt worked at that ball of necklaces and bracelets. First piece was a sterling ring. Then a few sterling necklaces started coming out of that ball. Also at the bottom of the bin I found one 10k earring with D stamped next to it for diamond I'm assuming. Looks like a single 1/18 carat diamond. Then I gold earring. put it in the jewelers loop and it's 14k. I cleaned it up with jewelry clean and looked close at the diamonds and can see black carbon specks in each diamond, the middle one has a good bit more of it. So I'm certain these are diamonds. Then this huge ring that I'm pretty sure is silver but there is no stamps and would not be the first time I've seen that. ( acid test in the mail ) . But It looks pretty old and not to sure of the stone.
my aunt handed me a bracelet and ask if it's silver and I said no way unless it's a Tiffany. Sure enough I turned the charm over and it says Tiffany & co. But later on i seen a video on YouTube for spotting a fake one and mine has all the signs...but still sterling..so I'll take it. Then I pulled out a real heavy bracelet loaded with charms and looked just like one of those pandora bracelets. Looked stone of the charms and says Chamilia 925. Each charm is stamped. I'm not familiar with the brand though. One ring in just not to sure about. It has a stamp ADL and on the other side you can tell there was one but it's all but worn gone and there just isn't enough there to tell what it says, but the ring does look like it was worn for awhile showing thinness at the bottom. The gold bracelet 10k I almost threw back but seen there was stamping on it. Good thing I looked closer. But this was great and could not believe all I found in this box where who knows how many people walked past it, and looked through it, but never seen any of these items .

Attachments

• IMG_6398.JPG
    IMG_6398.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_6394.JPG
    IMG_6394.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_6383.JPG
    IMG_6383.JPG
    927.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6400.JPG
    IMG_6400.JPG
    853.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_6396.JPG
    IMG_6396.JPG
    837.7 KB · Views: 276

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have a dark scratch stone, you can always rub the ring on there. should look like pencil lead. if its too hard to leave a nice solid mark its probably nickel or similar alloy, brass and copper leave their oqn distinct colors. Its not 100%, but without acid you can still check the qualities that way. scratch stone and a stong magnet will tell you enough in almost all cases with silver.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now go back through all of the stuff that you think is not gold or silver and check again. I used to buy a lot of junk jewelry bags and have gone back to the "junk" and found more gold and silver just about every time. Great Finds and Good Luck finding more.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to put a magnet to all of it. Buy an acid test kit off eBay. They are cheap!

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you have a dark scratch stone, you can always rub the ring on there. should look like pencil lead. if its too hard to leave a nice solid mark its probably nickel or similar alloy, brass and copper leave their oqn distinct colors. Its not 100%, but without acid you can still check the qualities that way. scratch stone and a stong magnet will tell you enough in almost all cases with silver.

I ran a strong magnet over everything and nothing sticks. That ring look pretty well tarnished and when I run on it I get that black tarnish on my thumb.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that was some therapeutic fun going through that bin. Great finds

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now go back through all of the stuff that you think is not gold or silver and check again. I used to buy a lot of junk jewelry bags and have gone back to the "junk" and found more gold and silver just about every time. Great Finds and Good Luck finding more.
Not only that, go through the stuff you think is junk and check the makers marks. There's some Avon, Trifari, Boucher & Capri stuff that'll bring more than gold or silver pieces! I've got several pieces that have paid for the lot they were in 4 or 5 times over.

This book Collecting Costume Jewelry 202 the basics of Dating Jewelry 1936 - 1980 will give you a good start! Another good example is some $30 & $40 pieces I've gotten look like the junk out of gumball machines. So far you got a good lot!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to put a magnet to all of it. Buy an acid test kit off eBay. They are cheap!
HINT - Buy your test acids separate it'll save you over the kits. If you buy the kits throw away the junky Chinese wood box and keep them & your stone in a little plastic fishing lure box. Prevents spills & you can carry it with you on buying excursions. Test kit & diamond tester both take up less than 1/2 a pocket. Oh, I'm sure you already have a loupe..... If not Harbor Freight has several if you can't weasel an expensive one from the wife on Christmas!

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not only that, go through the stuff you think is junk and check the makers marks. There's some Avon, Trifari, Boucher & Capri stuff that'll bring more than gold or silver pieces! I've got several pieces that have paid for the lot they were in 4 or 5 times over.

This book Collecting Costume Jewelry 202 the basics of Dating Jewelry 1936 - 1980 will give you a good start! Another good example is some $30 & $40 pieces I've gotten look like the junk out of gumball machines. So far you got a good lot!!

I'll have to do that. I am really new into jewelry and what makers marks hold value. There was a few Avon pieces but I always thought they were junk.

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet that was some therapeutic fun going through that bin. Great finds

It truly was. I was saying I would be happy if there was just one piece of sterling . this was just great for me. Especially the 14k earring with real diamonds. Probably 3ct total

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HINT - Buy your test acids separate it'll save you over the kits. If you buy the kits throw away the junky Chinese wood box and keep them & your stone in a little plastic fishing lure box. Prevents spills & you can carry it with you on buying excursions. Test kit & diamond tester both take up less than 1/2 a pocket. Oh, I'm sure you already have a loupe..... If not Harbor Freight has several if you can't weasel an expensive one from the wife on Christmas!
Good idea. I'll buy them separately. I do have a 8x loop and it's done me world of good. I would like one a little stronger though. And I've been meaning yo my a diamond tester. I thought they were expensive but Hell only $20..and I'm Not married so it'll be easy to talk myself into it

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your eyes must be much better than mine. I use a 30 X Loupe that I got off of ebay cheap. You might be amazed at how small a stamp can be, especially on earing posts or wires.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Those big bags of "junk" jewelry usually always produce something. If not silver or gold, then a designer signed piece or something worthy. Gold earring backs are something that gets overlooked often too. I've also seen earrings where only one of the pair was marked. Not to mention totally unmarked gold and silver.

ps- I have that same fake Tiffany sterling bracelet, but all hearts I believe. I also have a piece or two of totally fake Tiffany that isn't even sterling.

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your eyes must be much better than mine. I use a 30 X Loupe that I got off of ebay cheap. You might be amazed at how small a stamp can be, especially on earing posts or wires.[/QUOTE

My eyes arnt to bad But they get me by. Yes that 14k earring has extremely small stamp marks . in the side there is one I can't quite make out. All I can see is the number 20 but for sure it's not 1\20
Its a three letter word followed by 20. The post has a number 3 on It.

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I have a few pieces set to the side that I suspect is real but unmarked. I have come across that before. And after that experience I'm going to check all the loose earring backs. Yeah it's a bummer the tiffany is a fake but I'm still hoping it's sterling. I think the charms but not sure one chain

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its marked T&Co 925 in kind of a frosted script over the surface its nickel and will very slightly attract to a powerful magnet. Also make sure you look at plastic pieces. good jet, bakelite, or other organic plastics can be worth more than silver. I use and recommend simichrome polish for cleaning pieces, as it doubles for a test to detect bakelite plastics.

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring looks good - the high basket setting with heavy prongs makes me think you likely have a diamond there. Awesome haul!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds...keep up the good work!

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Went back through it and only found a pair of pink flower earrings made by trifari. One of those rings in the pic is Avon. There are a few brooches that are marked made in England and west German and look hand painted.

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That ring looks good - the high basket setting with heavy prongs makes me think you likely have a diamond there. Awesome haul!
I can't be sure if it's a diamond, inside the ring is stamped ADL and the other side, looks like there was a stamp but worn way down. I do not say any carbon specks in the stone so I'm having by doubts. I just need to take it in and get it tested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread