What do y'all use to sell your items

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PayPal for most online, but you can also get a Square account for free with the card reader for a smart phone (square.com). Then you can accept major credit cards yourself.
PayPal will take 2.9% of any money transferred and higher for international or cc transactions. Square is 2.75% for a card read directly, or 3.5% +15cents for keyed-in transactions.
Great to have when you're doing a garage sale, or flea market with higher priced items that potential customers may not have cash for, but will buy with a card.
One problem with PayPal is that the sender has to have a PayPal account, and some people just don't want to sign up.
I deposit checks same day electronically, but hold shipping for 7 days to insure clearance.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
PayPal is what I use. I started with PayPal because they were tied together as a payment option with my eBay account.
I believe it’s not a business account though.
My experience has been faultless using PayPal. Easy to pay and get paid. Good luck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Paypal on many different websites to buy and sell items. It's all I use, except when I send money to my mom using Zelle.

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell most media and new in the package items on Amazon, they handle everything well, and jusr deposit the money to my bank account. Most jewelry, tupperware, and old knicknacks that arent worth a lot on ebay I sell on Etsy, there I use their payment system, as well as PayPal, most other things I sell on Ebay, with PayPal as my only option there. I do have a couple websites I share with a friend as well, there we accept everything. 29% comes from Amazon payments, 11% skrill, 2% bitcoin, 41% paypal, 7% Google Checkout. Definitely Amazon Payments and Paypal are the big ones, But if you look at payments from overseas they are about a 50/50 split between Skrill and PayPal

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Paypal but I mostly buy stuff I don't need. I rarely sell anymore, it's become a hassle. Today I bought two antique marbles of all things.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be aware when you receive money from Paypal the irs is notified also

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be aware when you receive money from Paypal the irs is notified also
That's a pretty broad statement. Let me break it down for you.
First of all you are supposed to report any additional income to the IRS to begin with.
As far as paypal goes, the IRS is only notified when you have sales of more than 20k and over 200 transactions for the year combined.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as paypal goes, the IRS is only notified when you have sales of more than 20k and over 200 transactions for the year combined.

There is a major exception to this rule that just took effect for last tax year. If your account is registered in Massachusetts or Vermont, the threshold is a mere $600. Supposedly PayPal is only reporting to these state governments, but the 1099-K form they sent out for 2017 is the federal one.

To answer the original question, I use PayPal for eBay and Amazon payments for Amazon. When trading on forums I take money orders and checks from members with sound reputations. At the flea market and on craigslist I take cash only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread