Better than I expected

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit one thrift store today, one chain does 50% off on Mondays so I try to get to a few of them every Monday. But didnt get out of the house til almost 7PM. I thought for sure all the good stuff would be gone, but I decided to go through the motions because I have a habit of digging a little deeper and finding things others miss.

They generally only sell their big knives individually and put the smaller ones into bins for $4-$5.

There was 3 bins available, first one was junk, second one I snatched up when I saw Cutco steak knives in it, and the last was mostly garbage, but tightly packed. I spied a decent looking Wusthof, shook it a bit and saw another. So I bought 2 of the 3, and grabbed a bag with a cheap Brighton pen in it and a sterling necklace with a puzzle ring on it. Got the bins opened when i got home, the smaller one was $2 and yielded 4 cutco steak knives, the larger surprised me, it was $2.50, yielded 3 wusthof and a sterling silver british meat skewer I didnt even notice was in there. There is also a bunch of low to mid range knives I will keep until i have enough to fill a flat rate box and see what i can get for them.

Total spent today was just under $8... I can't believe this stuff lasted through half off day, and both bins were put out Friday. (price tags are dated)

20180403_011630.jpg
20180403_011619.jpg
20180403_011203.jpg
20180403_011611.jpg

Attachments

• 20180403_012808.jpg
    20180403_012808.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you researched the maker and put a date to the meat skewer yet? Some of those are worth real good money depending. Nice finds. I will be making a TS run later today myself.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came up with made by Richard Britton, in London, in 1828.
Wow that's pretty neat. I guess ya never know what you'll find in a thrift store. That's why I go all the time. I found a silver dish that was made in England in around the same time of the early 19th century. Hope no one teaches the TS workers not all silver says sterling on it, but I feel it's safe to say even if they tried the workers would just not remember all that's involved with all the various silver marks out there. Still sometimes they miss the word sterling if it's not placed on the very center of the bottom.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Boy the English made just about anything out of sterling silver!

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180403_192903.jpg
20180403_192917.jpg
20180403_193017.jpg

Making the rounds still tonight, follow that find up with my first gold in nearly a year. and here i got excited at the ed roth druid princess pin. Pretty rough, 14K Wittnauer watch

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd never see that at a Goodwill around here. What's jewelry? Some plastic beads on a string usually.

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd never see that at a Goodwill around here. What's jewelry? Some plastic beads on a string usually.

Funny, I just sold a string of plastic beans for $40 this morning. Sometimes those plastic beads are worth selling too :) Just depends on who made them and what kind of plastic. I always leave the good plastic stuff for 50%off day because it is always there when I go back. Doesnt seem like many others around here buy plastics. I always feel like kind of a rube spending money on plastic jewelry. My local thriftstores think I am nuts, a few employees have asked why I am always smelling the jewelry. I actually have more plastic stuff listed online than silver.

I didnt even check if that watch worked when I bought it, to my surprise, I wound it up, and so far in the last hour it is keeping time accurately.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I just sold a string of plastic beans for $40 this morning. Sometimes those plastic beads are worth selling too :) Just depends on who made them and what kind of plastic. I always leave the good plastic stuff for 50%off day because it is always there when I go back. Doesnt seem like many others around here buy plastics. I always feel like kind of a rube spending money on plastic jewelry. My local thriftstores think I am nuts, a few employees have asked why I am always smelling the jewelry. I actually have more plastic stuff listed online than silver.

I didnt even check if that watch worked when I bought it, to my surprise, I wound it up, and so far in the last hour it is keeping time accurately.
I'm talking Chinese modern plastic. Not vintage, celluloid, bakelite or anything like that. Unless it's a vintage signed piece, plastic jewelry and me don't mix. Thrifts around here treat all jewelry like its gold or something it seems. I need to start going back to my old S.A., it produced a variety of finds on a regular basis. I'm across town now, so it's a pita to drive at any time of day around here.

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talking Chinese modern plastic. Not vintage, celluloid, bakelite or anything like that. Unless it's a vintage signed piece, plastic jewelry and me don't mix. Thrifts around here treat all jewelry like its gold or something it seems. I need to start going back to my old S.A., it produced a variety of finds on a regular basis. I'm across town now, so it's a pita to drive at any time of day around here.

Ugh that sounds like a nightmare. I used to love the SA stores, but they have all closed down around me. So I am limited to GW and Savers, there are a few smaller stores as well, and local nonprofits, but they tend not to have much.

I have certainly noticed the trwnd in jewelry prices going up. The stores around here take anything with stamps and price it pretty high, but have no idea what they are doing. A lot of pieces get missed, and a lot dont understand the markings I see HGE and GF pieces for hundreds of dollars, even saw a "24K gold" watch for $9,995 at a GW recently, complete with flaking plating, as well as tons of Alpaca/Nickel/German silver for $80-$100. Some stores have started pulling older and nicer pieces and keeping them in safes, with books on the counter with pictures and prices, others are sending them in to go up on GWs auction website. The ones that really irk me are the stores that print out ebay pages and tape them to everything, not completed listings, just random listings of what people are asking for items. More often than not they give no regard to condition, and often dont even get the piece correct, they just match it to something similar looking.

Of course all jewelry sales are final, so a lot of people are getting burned and not shopping the jewelry as hard anymore, which helps as well. I usually only shop the stuff on the racks, it is very rare for me to buy any of the higher priced stuff in their cases, but occasionally I do stumble upon something.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What an awesome silver werewolf slaying dagger! Now i want one.

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going werewolf hunting for sure. The last couple weeks seem to have been an escalating series of finds that just keep getting better every day.

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never considered looking at meat skewers, so I'll have to keep an eye out. I have found a bunch of sterling handled larger serving ware though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread