Looking for advice on this one

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this during half off day today
20180409_175506.jpg
the band around the center certainly looks sterling, and tests as such, the feet look like possibly lead that is silver plated.
20180409_175451.jpg
I did a very hard scratch test on both, but am hesitant to file the piece to test. tops feet, bottoms center band.
20180409_180210.jpg

It has a nice clean seam where the ends were joined which was my first indication it may be real silver.

There are no markings on it at all, before possibly damaging it, does anyone know of a maker or have any other advice. unfortunately the style is just like every other plated casserole dish out there, so I woukdnt know where to begin.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't look particularly old or unique, so it may simply be worth whatever melt is--which means you can probably file it without worrying that you'd decrease value. The color of the metal sample on the stone looks like silver plate to me. (not the acid color) I think you're on the right track though!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those that was real silver

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The label will have coded info, telling you what it is and who made it. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
zombieraccoon

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i did file it down quite a bit today, it is plated, quite heavily though. with the way finds have been going lately i think i just got a little too trigger happy on this one last night. Oh well,the inside is brass. I just hate filing things, real or plated. looking at it in natural light, i would have never bought it, maybe i should start buying during the day haha. The last one of these i found that was real, had no markings either, i ended up scrapping it because of its condition. oh well, not my first mistake, definitely wont be my last. So ling as they stay cheap, i can live with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread