First thirft store find

Jposton1987

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up last night looking at the thrift store finds. My wife looking at me every few minutes as I gasped at what people were finding. Finally it was a nice enough day to take the metal detector out and do some beach hunting. Unfortunately, it was sanded over and only a few coins here and there. I decided to take a look at GW on the way home and came across two international sterling Prelude candle holders at $5.99 a piece hopefully I didn't do too bad on the deal. How do you guys usually sell your finds and do you remove tarnish and polish before reselling sterling?

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_140159772_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20180411_140159772_BURST001.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 168

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! If they aren't dented up and you can sell them as a pair versus scrapping them then you did fine. They should sell for around $40 on eBay, though it may take a while. You still probably paid less than scrap for them. Sometimes that tarnish hides small dents and scratches. If you're going to sell them for other than scrap, I would polish them up. Some vintage jewelry I'll leave alone and certain other items but for the most part polishing silver doesn't affect the resale value. Unless it's coins of course, never clean an old coin that may have collector value.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find...:occasion14:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on digging your first silver from a thrift store. If you’re like me you’ll find you will swing the detector less and less.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice deal. You’ll make money! You got them at a good price. Congrats!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I read that weighted candle sticks average out to 10%-15% of sterling compared to total weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread