Need some advice....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or a woman’s touch! Friend of mine and I are selling glass and other vintage/antique items in an antique booth. I know these don’t sell for very much anyways but as far as the fixtures and the glassware/items we have no money invested whatsoever. I only have money invested in the jewelry and the silver. All of the stuff plus all of the stands are out of the owners house.

My mom called and asked how our antique booth was doing, I said it’s horrible but our thrift store is doing good! We’re not allowed to have any metal or plastic shelving. Except for Bakers rack’s. I wanted to add some photos and maybe get some advice as to what I can change. I just feel like it looks like a thrift store. Basically our items are between $1-20. And I’m not trying to spend a fortune at the moment because where we live is very seasonal and I’m not sure the next couple months we’re going to make a whole lot. But I can spend about $500.

But looking at these pictures is there anything you would change or what advice do you have?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526362895.083979.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526362920.952165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526362951.267623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526362981.889945.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363005.105154.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363027.232581.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363048.482515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363104.157668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363128.227344.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363153.002632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526363177.482418.jpg

Last edited:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man. That is a lot of glassware. Price it to sell quick.

Booth looks good. Clean and organized.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't see how you could cram much more into the booth without making it hard to navigate. Keep the shelves full. It helps to draw people into your booth if you can position eye catching pieces in places where people have to go in to access them.

On a side note, it looks like you may have some of the Fire King McDonald's "Good Morning" mugs. I know most of those are relatively low value. If you have any that also have a city you should sell on eBay. They evidently go for a good bit more.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take the tall pieces off the shelf. Seems like they could be knocked off easily. Other than that it looks great. Maybe some pricing zones like Under $5. Signage like Fire King etc.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how you could cram much more into the booth without making it hard to navigate. Keep the shelves full. It helps to draw people into your booth if you can position eye catching pieces in places where people have to go in to access them.

On a side note, it looks like you may have some of the Fire King McDonald's "Good Morning" mugs. I know most of those are relatively low value. If you have any that also have a city you should sell on eBay. They evidently go for a good bit more.

Theres a ton of glass. All the mugs are a $1. May have to go lower on the rest of the mugs. Currently looking for white or light colored wood bookshelves to replace some of the shorter ones, but with a new antique mall setting up so was everyone else so they rather slim. I suppose I could just buy some paint and paint some as well.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take the tall pieces off the shelf. Seems like they could be knocked off easily. Other than that it looks great. Maybe some pricing zones like Under $5. Signage like Fire King etc.

That’s probably good idea little tag saying this or that

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda like the red bronze glass candy dish jar under the 2 green and yellow cookie jars and above the coffee cups on the wooden shelf. Probably one of your better pieces. You have any more from that set. looks like you have a round candy jar same color on the second shelf 3 candy jars in a row. 1940's?
I think the candy jar might make a comeback someday
As far as a lot of that stuff, like the milk glass was hot in the eighties.
a lot of minimalists out there now.
you might want to check out that fish serving tray. that looks like a nice one.
The red bronze candy dish was made by the Jeanette Glass company. It's called a wedding compote, the color is Amberina. The other 3 are covered candy dishes by the same maker. They were produced in the 50's.

Beachkid- I would also suggest some signage. I wouldn't leave small jewelry type objects on the middle table like they are though. Costume/fashion jewelry or not, people steal just "because" and for no other reason.
If you want to invest in something, get you a couple/few of those countertop wood and glass display boxes with the lids that lock or you can put a padlock on. Good for a variety of small worthy objects besides jewelry. It's a shame because we just threw out an entire jewelry display case from TJ Maxx a few weeks ago. Last year we probably tossed 5 of them into the dumpster.

If I didn't live on the other side of the state, I'd be tempted to stop by and take a look and give you another few boxes of glass, lol.
What are the pair of peacock things?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add some flowers the fake ones of course. Also think about putting some bright color material under the items like you did with the yellow table cloth. Maybe a few lights that work of batteries. Get those small ones LED that have the sticky bottom and put above the items in the dark colored shelves.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fire King tulip bowls and the Pyrex are popular, should sell fast if priced well.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add some flowers the fake ones of course. Also think about putting some bright color material under the items like you did with the yellow table cloth. Maybe a few lights that work of batteries. Get those small ones LED that have the sticky bottom and put above the items in the dark colored shelves.

Sounds good there’s probably 200 fake flowers at the house. so I don’t have to go far to get them. We’re getting three Bakers rack‘s tomorrow and cutting plywood to put underneath them. so ill pick up some different color spray paint for the wood. Although it will probably look ugly as heck. Haha.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red bronze candy dish was made by the Jeanette Glass company. It's called a wedding compote, the color is Amberina. The other 3 are covered candy dishes by the same maker. They were produced in the 50's.

Beachkid- I would also suggest some signage. I wouldn't leave small jewelry type objects on the middle table like they are though. Costume/fashion jewelry or not, people steal just "because" and for no other reason.
If you want to invest in something, get you a couple/few of those countertop wood and glass display boxes with the lids that lock or you can put a padlock on. Good for a variety of small worthy objects besides jewelry. It's a shame because we just threw out an entire jewelry display case from TJ Maxx a few weeks ago. Last year we probably tossed 5 of them into the dumpster.

If I didn't live on the other side of the state, I'd be tempted to stop by and take a look and give you another few boxes of glass, lol.
What are the pair of peacock things?

It’s all stuff I can’t really sell on eBay anyways because it’s just cheap $3-6 dollar pieces.. I sold a bunch of plastic cameos for six dollars apiece. Who would’ve thought! Lady came by tonight and asked if I had any more she would buy them all, Which I picked up on that and had five more and she bought them as well!

The Peacock go on top of a jar. I believe, they seem to be the same size as those moon and star canisters.

If you come across any other jewelry displays and may fit inside of a Honda Odyssey minivan I’ll come pick it up. Road trips are fun unless my van breaks down. She has 158,000 miles but just use it for moving things anymore. Never had a problem with it too much until I hit a tire on the interstate going 85 miles an hour. That must have shook all the connections loose or something! My mom was with me and said you should slow down incase you hit a tire! Not 30 seconds later. OH S%^*!

But it only seems to break down in my driveway for now. My neighbors keep laughing that I have it towed but it’s paid for and has air-conditioning so it’s worth keeping.

I think signage is good too. I just put something up saying what booth I had because no one can find the information when they want to see inside of the case. I will definitely get my wife to write some stuff out because my writing is about equivalent to a second-grader. Or have my daughter type something out for me.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fire King tulip bowls and the Pyrex are popular, should sell fast if priced well.

I think I just sold my first Pyrex today for $10. I guess I’m gonna have to drop it all down to eight but it’s only been two days so I’ll see after this weekend.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the back of my van. Haha. Some of it’s going to a storage locker tomorrow. It’s supposed to go to another booth but they’re not open because there’s protests about a statue downtown so they’re closing the doors til further notice. I could probably fill my van honestly 30 times more with boxes. But a lot of it’s going to go in the storage lockers because I want to start setting out all of the clocks and knickknacks things instead of glass.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526437667.966846.jpg

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe add a black light to one of the shelves? I know some of the glass vendors in my local antique mall use them. Helps the milk glass pop & highlights any vaseline glass.

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought a couple of those "genie" bottles a couple months ago. She wanted to keep one and seel one. She sold it very fast for $30. They also sell well on the 'bay.

edit to add: It's the tall slim amber one with the stopper in it.

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the days of managing antique mall booths. I do not miss that at all. For all the small "junk" jewelery, i had the best luck dropping them into little baggies, folding and stapling a piece of paper off the top and hanging them on pegboard hooks. I ended up just cutting a piece of pegboard to fit the sides of the shelves, with little 1/2" spacers behind them, and putting hooks and baggies down the sides of the shelves. Looks like hell, but sure does get people looking. Eventually I found a vendor thrift store 100 miles away and set up there, closed booths in 4 malls when I did. It was far but worth it. I took to cramming high volumes of low dollar items into bookshelves and pegboard walls there. Eventually I moved towards lower volume, higher dollar and highet quality items, and the monthly + % was no longer worth the time, as online is just a straight %, and the things i sell now are generally quick turnaround, and go about the same price online

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought a couple of those "genie" bottles a couple months ago. She wanted to keep one and seel one. She sold it very fast for $30. They also sell well on the 'bay.

edit to add: It's the tall slim amber one with the stopper in it.

I think I priced That at 25. It’s neat and in nice condition.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I priced That at 25. It’s neat and in nice condition.

You talking about the Blenko #6953 Tangerine piece with the air twist stopper? That's a helluva deal. It's worth at least 4 times that amount. The last one sold for $125, last September. There is one listed now for $212.50 plus $63 shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blenko-Joe...8abb62a:g:K5EAAOSw9-FZ4n~u&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Why wouldn't you list it on ebay for $100 or so? Heck, I just sold one almost as big for $50. No big deal.

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You talking about the Blenko #6953 Tangerine piece with the air twist stopper?

I think he was referring to the one on top of the shelf that I was referring to.
I've never seen the one on the floor (the Blenko) I will have to keep an eye out for that one. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions