Paid $15, Now headed for auction

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this super high end Councill Craftsmen carved mahogany accent chair at my local thrift store for $15. It is now headed to auction with a minimum reserve at $100 but should do much better. When new it sold for more than $1000.
20180818_113503.jpg
20180818_113603.jpg
20180818_114042.jpg

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Auctioneer just messaged me and wants to start the bidding at $300.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is beautiful. If I didn't have cats....

Sent from my E6782 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Years ago I bought a buttery soft nailhead trimmed leather chair with matching ottoman that set me back a bundle but I wanted a classy chair instead of a recliner. The first night I had it our cat scratched the crap out of it with her hind paw claws. I have disliked cats from that moment on.
Until I get it safely to the auction house this aternoon it resides in my bedroom which is off-limits to my daughters cat.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Council Craftsman used solid mahogany and not veneers. This was a very expensive piece in its day. I do not believe they make furniture out of solid mahogany anymore. You should definitely do well.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice profit coming your way. Congrats on the chair for only 15$

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score! You will be laughing all the way to the bank!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece...Good Luck on the sale! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It goes on the block September 1st and I will update after the auction.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Went to the auction on Saturday to see how the chair would do. A 'friend' was there also. Actually he was our president in the MRO I belong to. I was his VP. He had caused me more anguish during those years than I care to even think about. Suffice to say, a very poor leader but still a friend nonetheless.
He bought a very heavy coffee table at the auction that was topped with an equally heavy piece of tempered glass and asked if I would help him load it into hs SUV. I agreed to help him but warned him that I'd better not miss what I'd came to see which of course is my chair going on the block.

After loading the coffee table he says, 'ok, hop in, or do you want to drive your Jeep to my house?'
'WHAT? Dude, I told you I am not missing my chair auction! I will drive over after the auction and help you unload the table!' (luckily he lives only a mile or so from the auction house)

So then he tells me to stand by, he is going to 'hook me up'. I saw him walk over to where the furniture is held as he is having a conversation with one of the auction house helpers.
Next thing I know is my chair is immediately put on the block only moments after his talk with me and the helper.
He had talked the helper into putting my chair up next so that I could leave sooner and help him with his stupid coffee table!

Where did he get the right to push forward something that didn't belong to him and had no intention of bidding on? Of course I didn't find out about it until I got to his house and boy, I was steamed! I thought it seemed strange that my chair went on the block as soon as he left and now I know why.

By the way, the chair failed to meet the reserve and did not sell. I will cancel the reserve and try again next week. I sure hope my 'friend' doesn't show up.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you told him what a piece of work he is. Just wow...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Next week, park a few blocks away and attend the Auction incognito. Make sure you do not sit anywhere near him, turn your' phones ringer don't and don't answer any calls or texts from him.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you told him what a piece of work he is. Just wow...

I want to in the worst way but he is enough of a lunkhead that it won't sink in. Here is an example of his 'leadership skills':
Our organization is a 501c(3) so we rely on events, raffles and giveaways in order to make money. We decided on a 50" smart TV for last summers raffle. He went out and bought the TV but did not check it at the time of purchase. It stayed in the box for most of the summer while we sold tickets. By the time we drew the winning ticket the warranty had expired. The winner, (and her wife) went to his house to pick up the still sealed in the box TV. He loaded the box in their car and congratulated the winner, (and her wife) and sent them on their merry way.
That night we recieved a phone call from the winner that the screen on the TV was busted. Our organization had to shell out another $450 to purchase another TV for the winner, (and her wife)
This, because he: 1- did not check the TV at the time of purchase, 2- never checked the TV while the warranty was in effect, and 3- did not check the TV just before loading into the winners, (and her wifes) car. :BangHead:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to in the worst way but he is enough of a lunkhead that it won't sink in. Here is an example of his 'leadership skills':
Our organization is a 501c(3) so we rely on events, raffles and giveaways in order to make money. We decided on a 50" smart TV for last summers raffle. He went out and bought the TV but did not check it at the time of purchase. It stayed in the box for most of the summer while we sold tickets. By the time we drew the winning ticket the warranty had expired. The winner, (and her wife) went to his house to pick up the still sealed in the box TV. He loaded the box in their car and congratulated the winner, (and her wife) and sent them on their merry way.
That night we recieved a phone call from the winner that the screen on the TV was busted. Our organization had to shell out another $450 to purchase another TV for the winner, (and her wife)
This, because he: 1- did not check the TV at the time of purchase, 2- never checked the TV while the warranty was in effect, and 3- did not check the TV just before loading into the winners, (and her wifes) car. :BangHead:

Pardon my ignorance, and certainly not defending the lunkhead in question--but how does one test a new in box/sealed TV? That thing should work out of the box even if a summer has passed! That manufacturer should have had to replace with or without receipt... World's shortest mfg warranty? Sounds like a heavy case of bad luck.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon my ignorance, and certainly not defending the lunkhead in question--but how does one test a new in box/sealed TV? That thing should work out of the box even if a summer has passed! That manufacturer should have had to replace with or without receipt... World's shortest mfg warranty? Sounds like a heavy case of bad luck.

Brad, he should have opened the box and plugged in the TV as soon as he got it home from the store. If the screen was bad he would have had plenty of time to take it back. He should have at least tested the thing before the 30 day store warranty expired since the manufacturers warranty doesn't cover the screen. He should have tested it minutes before loading it into the winners car because the winner, (and her wife) had about an eighty mile drive so they may have caused the damage themselves on the trip back home. Because lunkhead NEVER tested it, we'll never know.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people pay ridiculas prices for some thing that's old uncomfortable ugly lol good find thank god for collectors

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people pay ridiculas prices for some thing that's old uncomfortable ugly lol good find thank god for collectors

Councill Craftsmen started making furniture in the 1980's or 90's so it really isn't very old. Comfortable? I guess for having tea with spinster Aunt Mabel but definitely not for binge watching Netflix :laughing7:

I was told that the chair sold in last Saturdays auction but I did not attend because I did not want to run into Lunkhead. The auction house owners went on vacation and I will find out the selling price on Monday when they return.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions