Two awesome pieces of jewelry

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visited my mom today down in South Jersey and we hit the thrifts together. Came away w a decent amount of junk silver and these two beauties. The bracelet is gold and silver w pearls, rubies, a diamond and an intaglio style reverse watermelon tourmaline. Completely unmarked. Definitely a treasure. Mostly Victorian but some elements may be older. Posted in “what is it” for insight because the center stone is unnecessarily drilled - see that posting if ur interested. It was $25 and tagged as vintage costume. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536439679.321736.jpg

Second piece is an 18k white gold and star sapphire pendant. Unmarked. I figured it was a Lindy. But alas, no L. It reads as sapphire on the gem tester too, so off the jeweler w that one. It was $10 and tagged as sterling. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536439969.228321.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536439978.464162.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536439987.018254.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's nice. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock what you think? On the age especially. On the one hand it seems aesthetic, and the seed pearls is classic late victorian or edwardian, but on the other hand you have that crazy center stone with the button drillings. You seen this before?

Last edited:
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And also —- I am rarely in this area Anymore - we usually uber my mom up to me, so I’m happy to share the location w any south jersey folks by PM. I don’t want the shop to know obviously.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly missing an artistic addition mounted on a post in that hole??? Imo

Definitely possible, but I don’t think so. The whole piece is frankenstein. The part we’re looking at has cut shanks on either end - so definitely cut and turned into a bracelet. So i’m hoping the stome was important to somebody and carried through. Itsn optimist lol

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock what you think? On the age especially. On the one hand it seems aesthetic, and the seed pearls is classic late victorian or edwardian, but on the other hand you have that crazy center stone with the button drillings. You seen this before?
I'm thinking 1870s? Maybe European? It's pretty unique and a nice find the boot. Is that mesh band gold or rolled gold? I'm not sure why the hole is in the tourmaline, but it leads me to believe it was once in something else, so maybe that did come from an older piece. A lot of older jewelry does get altered overtime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking 1870s? Maybe European? It's pretty unique and a nice find the boot. Is that mesh band gold or rolled gold? I'm not sure why the hole is in the tourmaline, but it leads me to believe it was once in something else, so maybe that did come from an older piece. A lot of older jewelry does get altered overtime.

Pretty much where I am on it. The band is vermeil. The “top bezel” and the prongs are silver. The florets w pearls and rubies are gold - a little under 14k.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sapphire is unfortunately synthetic. Gemologist said for the future two remember two things: 1) natural star sapphires are exceptionally rare (most for sale are fake) and; 2) anytime you see a really strong star with straight lines like this one, assume it’s synthetic.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those Lindy sapphires were the hot commodity at one time and made their creator a lot of money. Most of the early ones were set in gold. I still remember what big deal they were and getting one as a gift was at the top of the list for many women in the early 1970s. I had a ring that had the L on the back side once, but do remember selling it for scrap value when gold was at a record high. You got that right, as to the rarity of a real star sapphire. That would be quite the find running across one of those in the hunt for estate jewelry.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id guess the hole is from a piece of gold accent missing. Something like a service award would be gold on gold filled. I find old mens rings that have an onyx stone then a small gold letter for an initial and when I pull them off to scrap them there is that hole in the stone. If that makes since.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id guess the hole is from a piece of gold accent missing. Something like a service award would be gold on gold filled. I find old mens rings that have an onyx stone then a small gold letter for an initial and when I pull them off to scrap them there is that hole in the stone. If that makes since.

Interesting. And that’s what MRBeyer thought too. I guess I have to consider as an option because it makes sense. But then that added piece would cover the intaglio - which would seem weird to me. Maybe it was a fancy button.

Silverchick

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just going crazy with your find. The star sapphire pendant is so beautiful. The bracelet is absolutely to die for. Congratulations on an amazing find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread