Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Framed picture and Signature of Gen James Longstreet. Is it real?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2629 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Framed picture and Signature of Gen James Longstreet. Is it real?

Today i hit my local thrift store and came up with a framed picture of a man dressed in a suit as well as a signature under it. I posted the picture on the thrift store finds section here on T-net hoping someone might recognize the person or at least make out the name or names on the signature.

Sure enough, in less than an hour T-net member Wilsondog nailed it as a picture of Civil war General James Longstreet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1631874

Until today, i had no clue who Longstreet was but now i do. He was called "My old war horse" by Gen Lee and was Lee's trusted friend and adviser.

Anyhow, i paid 3 dollars for the framed picture and signature. It looks like the Longstreet signature is one that commands big bucks making my find less likely to be real. Still, even if its not real, i learned something about the civil war that i never knew making my 3 dollars well spent.

Here is a picture of an authenticated signature next to the one i have.

It says Yours truly James Longstreet

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  8.7 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1631876

So, that's my find for the day!

HH everyone!
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    4825 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Amazing thrift store. The paper and ink look pretty old to me. I would definitely try to get it authenticated. Based on Google, most of his signatures are pretty inconsistent with each other, so it is hard to compare them to other known ones. Congrats on such a historical find if it is authentic! Even if it is not authentic, you still got to have the fun of researching it.
    Ammoman, huntsman53 and A2coins like this.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish Ĺ penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781Ĺ Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    2629 times
    Yes the signatures are all over the place. I was surprised to find the authenticated signature to be very close to the one i have. I am not sure if i want to drop 150 bucks to find out if its real or not. I may let it stew on my mind for a while before i make a final decision.
    A2coins and coinman123 like this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5086 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The capital "L" in Longstreet looks weird to me. It has a thin line that looks like someone was trying to copy it and messed up. Just my take on it, but I could be wrong.
    Ammoman and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    2629 times
    I looked at that as well as the extra line in the J. I have used non ball point ink pens before and it may just be from a stray fiber caught at the tip of the pen. Or like you said an attempt to trace.
    A2coins likes this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    718 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm no handwriting expert but it looks like the real deal to me. The OP's signature looks like it was done by someone who did it a thousand times, not by someone trying to make a copy. It is so close to the example signature I would not hesitate to buy it. Gary

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    4894 times
    Nice find! A Civil War Museum may have an Expert that can authenticate the signature for free.
    A2coins, Ammoman and Nitric like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    8965 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I doubt any one here can say for sure there are sires like antique road show that have experts live for a fee if its valuable could be worth the risk if it is why are they selling it for 150 good luck
    Ammoman likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    356 times
    Outstanding! And a banner find.
    A2coins and Ammoman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    13467 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congratulations on the very nice find!
    A2coins and Ammoman like this.

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1020 times
    Looks perfectly legit to me, but I'd try taking it out of the frame to determine if what ya see is all there is or if the rest of the letter or document is folded up or otherwise hidden. The extra mark in the J is strange, but the L just appears to have been the letter his pen ran out of ink on, the faint line being him trailing-off the paper to go dip the pen?

Awesome find!
    Ammoman likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    837 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I doubt any one here can say for sure there are sires like antique road show that have experts live for a fee if its valuable could be worth the risk if it is why are they selling it for 150 good luck
    I agree that no one here can authenticate the signature based on photographs, but it's fun to speculate.

They paid $3.00 for the picture at a thrift store. The $150.00 that was discussed was the authentication fee for the signature.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    45 times
    Hello Ammoman,

Not sure if you came across this in your search but there was a WWII liberty ship named the SS James Longstreet. It was used to transport troops and later used by the navy as a target in Cape Cod Bay in the 40's. It became affectionately known by locals as "the target ship" and it went on to have it's own history for many years. When I was a kid I saw it every time we went to the beach and always hoped that someday I would get to visit it. The bombing eventually ceased and it became kind of a tourist attraction that you couldn't actually go to but was great to photograph. I got certified to dive and dove on it several times despite it being illegal to dive due to safety. Filled with enthusiasm I found an intact but heavily encrusted rocket that was probably 3 and 1/2 feet long. I inflated my dive vest and rose to the surface with the new prize. I looked at my dive buddy and he said "it's liiiiive" I'm like "what?" He repeated: "it's live ordinance" so I hastily dropped it. The winter storms have taken their toll over the years and you can no longer see the ship, but it's still there below the surface. I have no idea if your signature is real but it was a great opportunity to tell this story!
    Ammoman and Jose The Goon like this.

us
    Jan 2013
    SouthwestVirginia
    599 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    If you look closely, the L in Longstreet has the same extra line in the authenticated one. Overall, many parts of it are a match and it still retains that distinct difference every signature has, even with the same person. Just write your own signature out, no way it can ever truly be exactly the same. The flow of it is smooth and not like one that was traced either, so my bet it's legit and well worth getting authenticated. The only way I would say that it wasn't, is if it is a facsimile, but you can't tell that from photographs, but if you look at the actual signature you can easily tell if it's printed or not. That's one way to distinguish fake Confederate bills from real ones.

CERTIFIED BY AASOA (ARMCHAIR AUTHENTICATOR SOCIETY OF AMERICA)
    Last edited by Worm-Slicer; Sep 14, 2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Ammoman and MotherOfGeeks like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    2629 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Worm-Slicer View Post
    If you look closely, the L in Longstreet has the same extra line in the authenticated one. Overall, many parts of it are a match and it still retains that distinct difference every signature has, even with the same person. Just write your own signature out, no way it can ever truly be exactly the same. The flow of it is smooth and not like one that was traced either, so my bet it's legit and well worth getting authenticated. The only way I would say that it wasn't, is if it is a facsimile, but you can't tell that from photographs, but if you look at the actual signature you can easily tell if it's printed or not. That's one way to distinguish fake Confederate bills from real ones.

CERTIFIED BY AASOA (ARMCHAIR AUTHENTICATOR SOCIETY OF AMERICA)
    Its definitely not a facsimile. I guess its time to open the frame and see whats inside. Before i do, is their any reason i should not?
    Plumbata and A2coins like this.
    Dig till you drop!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links