Heavy 14K Necklace

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Picked up this necklace yesterday for $21.70. I almost didn't ask to see it because the color looked a little off when it was in the display case. Once I got it in hand the color still looked a little off. If it had been marked 14K I probably would have decided it was a fake. Clearly marked 585 in 2 places and has a manufacturers mark I can't make out so I took a chance. Tested as 14K with my electronic tester.

IMG_3918.JPG

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! That’s a dance and sing find!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! You sure you didn't steal that off Ryan Fitzpatrick?

ryan-fitzpatrick-conor-mcgregor.jpg

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I have a Tri-Electronics GT-3000 tester. The necklace had an almost "antique brass" finish look. I've run across a few pieces with that look that turned out to be either heavy plate or sterling vermeil. I didn't trust the positive I got from my initial test and ended up filing a fairly deep notch into the side of one of the links to be 100% sure.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Picked up a greenish 10k marked mens ring once. Lady selling it claimed it was a fake and that her husband never owned anything real. Would have believed her but I could see the resizing weld with 24k in it. $25 purchase, sold for $380 to an army vet with ptsd. He had fixated on that ring and just had to have it. Melt was about $510 at the time.

Near as I could figure it was poorly ratioed hardening material causing the green tint.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is what I call a chunk of gold. Don't go swimming with that on, you will sink like a rock. I dream of a score like that :notworthy:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a greenish 10k marked mens ring once. Lady selling it claimed it was a fake and that her husband never owned anything real. Would have believed her but I could see the resizing weld with 24k in it. $25 purchase, sold for $380 to an army vet with ptsd. He had fixated on that ring and just had to have it. Melt was about $510 at the time.

Near as I could figure it was poorly ratioed hardening material causing the green tint.

It's a thing. Haven't seen it yet myself, but my tester has a button for it.

Green gold: Unless one is familiar with the appearance of green gold, the term can be quite misleading. The green color, like rose gold, is very subtle. Green gold is best described as yellow gold with a slightly greenish hint (not a definite green like this background). Green gold is most noticeable when it is used in a piece of jewelry next to areas of yellow, white, and pink gold. The classic mixture that produces green gold is an alloy of pure yellow gold and pure silver -- though, for rings, harder metals such as nickel or zinc are sometimes added to make the gold more durable. 14K green gold would contain fourteen parts yellow gold and ten parts silver. 18K green gold would contain eighteen parts yellow gold and six parts silver.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Interesting info on the green gold. This piece has a greenish tint. It also has a couple spots that are a darkish tarnish that I associate with gold vermeil over sterling. That makes sense if green gold is alloyed with sterling.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be the camera lighting but the color doesn't look off to me at all. It just looks a bit more rose-goldy. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a score! I was told that sometimes the gold will darken with well water. Not sure why that is, but it can change. I had one and sold it for 2x spot. Depending on the length.. but for $21, that would go away for a rainy day! Congrats!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Beachkid and others said is true. I've seen it too. I've seen it dark brown and almost black for different reasons. There has even been arguments about it on here before. :laughing7:

That is an awesome find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread