niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones I have scrapped have a resin that will melt in the bottom part, and plaster in the part that holds the candle, which won't melt. Also wooden dowels where the resin and plaster meet. Don't remember what temperature it takes to melt the resin though. I pulled mine apart with a pair of pliers and melted the pieces into an ingot anyway.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Removing the weight is destroying the piece. Why would you want to take the weight out if you aren't going to melt it?

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you want to take the weight out if you aren't going to melt it?
one day i will melt it its just i like to display the larger sterling pieces ive found and want to know the weight.i am hoarding the silver and gold for retirement
by smacking the bottom with my palm the resin cracked and i was able to get the large chunk out but now the is a metal rod going through the top

Attachments

• DSCF1947.JPG
    DSCF1947.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 130

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a huge pile of sterling if you are planning on retiring on it :)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put em in the freezer a while and the resin will then shatter like a frozen chocolate bar and that'll generally break free all the resin from the rod with a few smack's with a hammer. Then I smash all the silver flat.

Last edited:

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one day i will melt it its just i like to display the larger sterling pieces ive found and want to know the weight.i am hoarding the silver and gold for retirement
by smacking the bottom with my palm the resin cracked and i was able to get the large chunk out but now the is a metal rod going through the top

Sterling weighted is not Sterling silver, it is a base metal composition with silver plate.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling weighted is not Sterling silver, it is a base metal composition with silver plate.
What are you talking about? Weighted is just a term used that it isn't solid stering silver, but a thin sheet of sterling silver supported by a filler to support the integrity of the outer thin silver sheet.

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a huge pile of sterling if you are planning on retiring on it
smiley.gif
im not going to retire on it. im just holding on to my coins stamps silver gold etc... for somethiing to keep me busy when i retire and earn a few bucks

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to melt it out in a toaster oven, outside. I have melted out the resin in sterling knife handles with a torch before, it drips out, but it also burns. Also, you will get firescale on the silver if you heat it in the presence of oxygen.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammer. Or wait until you have a yard sale and slap $15 on them. Because it is about how much silver is on them. I have 4 pairs waiting for our sale, next spring.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you talking about? Weighted is just a term used that it isn't solid stering silver, but a thin sheet of sterling silver supported by a filler to support the integrity of the outer thin silver sheet.
I have been passing on these because I had read they were not worth messing with. Maybe I should be picking these up then?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been passing on these because I had read they were not worth messing with. Maybe I should be picking these up then?
There is scrap silver value in them. The small ones yeild around 19 grams each I have found on average and that's how I base the amount of silver in the taller ones. I won't pay any more than 5 bucks each for these short sterling weighted candlesticks anymore. I strip them down and take them to my local coin shop - precious metal buyer, because he's got all kinds of other cool stuff he'll take these in on trade, but he won't give even half the value if you don't strip them down. If they don't say sterling on them, they ain't worth poop.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is scrap silver value in them. The small ones yeild around 19 grams each I have found on average and that's how I base the amount of silver in the taller ones. I won't pay any more than 5 bucks each for these short sterling weighted candlesticks anymore. I strip them down and take them to my local coin shop - precious metal buyer, because he's got all kinds of other cool stuff he'll take these in on trade, but he won't give even half the value if you don't strip them down. If they don't say sterling on them, they ain't worth poop.
Thanks for the tips. My apologies for the wrong info.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one wants them. Smash away.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Mark it up x4 and let it go. With what's there plus time & effort you're losing money.

Apply the gotsta rule. Mark the price up high, leave it on your table until someone comes along that "Just gotsta have it no matter the price" Then there's Murphys law. "As soon as you scrap it someone will come looking for it to fill out their set and will pay a s tupid price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions