May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these 14 karat gold earrings with 0.3 carats of diamonds at a thrift store yesterday. $3. 5.7g. I also picked up this Elgin wristwatch at the flea market on Saturday for $20. I serviced it last night and it’s running great. Attractive looking watch. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542820214.697876.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542820224.379691.jpg

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The earrings are only 14k gold plated. If not I don't see how they can cost 3.00$:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earrings are only 14k gold plated. If not I don't see how they can cost 3.00$:dontknow:

I’m not sure what makes you think that. This is all we do here. Find gold that people don’t realize is gold. For the record the piece is marked 14KT. It also has what appears to be a foreign hallmark. And if that’s not enough it acid tested correctly. If you judge whether something is gold or not by its price you’re missing the whole point of what we all do here.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not sure what makes you think that. This is all we do here. Find gold that people don’t realize is gold. For the record the piece is marked 14KT. It also has what appears to be a foreign hallmark. And if that’s not enough it acid tested correctly. If you judge whether something is gold or not by its price you’re missing the whole point of what we all do here.
In the first place I was only questioning about the price and I understand that people don t perceive it being gold or not. I accept that if that s what you all do there. Thank you

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Id like to ask what goes into "Servicing " a watch and do you have a background in that field? I have some inexpensive non collectable watches laying around that would be cool if I could fix them but not so worth it to pay to have them fixed. Thanks

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earings are nice and a great price but I really like the watch. Congrats. good eye.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim Don, I would like to buy those earrings, I will ship you the $3 stat. I really really hope they are real and not plated.

I love a great score. Nice work on the earrings The watch is one of my favorite deco styles Im surprised it isn't gold as well? Very nice picking work my friend. I need to get to work, I haven't had a satisfying score in a while.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I never see nice men's watches at my thrift stores, just junk. Love the watch and the gold, pays to keep both your eyes and your mind open.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to ask what goes into "Servicing " a watch and do you have a background in that field? I have some inexpensive non collectable watches laying around that would be cool if I could fix them but not so worth it to pay to have them fixed. Thanks

I learned everything on YouTube and just have been reading and working on junk watches. I’ve ruined a lot of hairsprings but I continue to get better. It takes a lot of practice in more importantly buying their correct tools. Don’t go cheap especially on screwdrivers. And of course start on time only movement in a good place to start is with the larger pocket watches as everything is bigger and a little easier to manipulate. You can buy some junk movements on mine fairly cheap and just keep taking one apart and putting it back together. You will learn very quickly that most watches are basically the same construction so if you work on one any other one is pretty easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first place I was only questioning about the price and I understand that people don t perceive it being gold or not. I accept that if that s what you all do there. Thank you

Got it. The lady misses things on occasion. Last week was a 24 inch Lagos Caviar sterling silver necklace that retails for $1000. It was not marked on the clasp but on the connecting piece to the clasp.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim Don, I would like to buy those earrings, I will ship you the $3 stat. I really really hope they are real and not plated.

I love a great score. Nice work on the earrings The watch is one of my favorite deco styles Im surprised it isn't gold as well? Very nice picking work my friend. I need to get to work, I haven't had a satisfying score in a while.

Actually the watch wouldn’t be gold because it’s one of the cheaper movements. It actually probably has no more than seven Jewels. I put it on the timegrapher and it seems to be running at -45 seconds per day. That’s good enough for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two very nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing looking watch! Just be careful with it as I'm sure you know it's radium and what not. Did a test at my university and they do give off quite a bit of radiation but nothing dangerous just don't inhale any particles. Great piece!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing looking watch! Just be careful with it as I'm sure you know it's radium and what not. Did a test at my university and they do give off quite a bit of radiation but nothing dangerous just don't inhale any particles. Great piece!

The flea market had a Geiger counter for sale and I almost bought it Just to test watches. I might just buy the iPhone app instead

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds gotta keep your eye out is all Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread