Help with Chinese Book Translation?

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Hello Everyone, I recently picked up an old book in a thrift store regarding Chinese Porcelain, and I was hoping someone on the board could help translating the title, author, etc. Unfortunately, none of the book is in English. It is a traditional oriental string bound book, with cloth covers and tipped in photographs of old ceramics. I would guess that it dates to the 1930's or so, but that is just a guess. Can anyone help? If not, does anyone know of a good on-line translation service? Thanks in advance for the help, and Happy New Year!

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fujio Koyama - japanese porcelain expert. I have one of his books in English. I think it’s called Oriental Ceramics.

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol and for the record while I’d love to be renowned as an Asian language scholar, sadly I didn’t translate that - I put it in the Google Translate app in my phone.

OP
OP
R

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Thanks Randazzo. That's the first step I needed! Btw, you have a great avatar. Having searched for artifacts in GA for over forty years, a nice clovis (or any kind) is still on my bucket list.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope you can find someone to translate. I’m on pin and needles.:icon_thumright:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's gonna be tough for us here who primarily read English. See if member Yang Hao can be reached with a pm? I haven't seen any post by him in some time, but he translated a few things I posted in "what is it" some time ago.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a straight on shot of the pages? If they weren't at an angle, I might be able to use OCR and google to translate.

I can't promise anything, that text might be too close together. I'm assuming you read it by columns?

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first page says Song Dynasty, the second says Fujio Koyama

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Randazzo. That's the first step I needed! Btw, you have a great avatar. Having searched for artifacts in GA for over forty years, a nice clovis (or any kind) is still on my bucket list.

Happy to help. If you download the google translate app you can just point ur camera at it and translate it. Example pasted below - Japanese to English:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545879944.645668.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the next page you posted I just pulled one block of text in the images below as an example. With the book in front of you will be able to translate in real time and in my experience that is far more accurate.

Remember also that Chinese and Japanese share an immense number of characters, so step by step translation is tricky w these translating apps - it may slip into Chinese or Japanese and give you a bad translation.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545880350.632289.jpg the page

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545880376.249135.jpg the app’s attempt to translate.

Last edited:

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OCR are great but sometimes they read the characters wrong or the translation can be off. That book looks interesting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread