scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually nominated this for a banner, it should be seen by more than just this subforum.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually nominated this for a banner, it should be seen by more than just this subforum.

Good Luck with that. We’ve been down that road before. We have decided to be happy with our “unqualified” banner finds. Haha

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck with that. We’ve been down that road before. We have decided to be happy with our “unqualified” banner finds. Haha
I can understand why, being we might find a deal on a gold ring carefully reviewed in a thrift store vs a metal detector uncovering one unseen from below the surface of the ground by using the skills they're learned and right equipment in hopes of finding a real treasure. It's kinda like catching a big fish unseen below the surface of the water by using the right gear, skill and tactics vs someone who chooses to purchase a really nice big fish already seen first hand at the market for a heck of a deal.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I can understand why, being we might find a deal on a gold ring carefully reviewed in a thrift store vs a metal detector uncovering one unseen from below the surface of the ground by using the skills they're learned and right equipment in hopes of finding a real treasure. It's kinda like catching a big fish unseen below the surface of the water by using the right gear, skill and tactics vs someone who chooses to purchase a really nice big fish already seen first hand at the market for a heck of a deal.

That's the rationale but I don't buy into it. Finding something under the ground takes a certain skill set & knowledge. Finding a hidden gem at a thrift/estate sale/garage sale/whatever takes a different skill set & knowledge. If either one was automatic everyone would be doing it and would be successful.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the rationale but I don't buy into it. Finding something under the ground takes a certain skill set & knowledge. Finding a hidden gem at a thrift/estate sale/garage sale/whatever takes a different skill set & knowledge. If either one was automatic everyone would be doing it and would be successful.

Yep I agree. Both are skills and I do both. The real difference I think is in the starting base. Any gold find while detecting is a great find. Even a small ring. On the other hand, I find gold pretty much every time I go to sales/thrifts for the day. So the threshold is higher. A basic good ring for a $1.00 at a thrift doesn’t compare to the rarity of the same ring while detecting.

But that said - a chinese vase from the 1600s or a 18k cartier cigar thing - are at least as rare as some of the rarest detecting finds.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Yep I agree. Both are skills and I do both. The real difference I think is in the starting base. Any gold find while detecting is a great find. Even a small ring. On the other hand, I find gold pretty much every time I go to sales/thrifts for the day. So the threshold is higher. A basic good ring for a $1.00 at a thrift doesn’t compare to the rarity of the same ring while detecting.

But that said - a chinese vase from the 1600s or a 18k cartier cigar thing - are at least as rare as some of the rarest detecting finds.

You must live in a better jewelry hunting area than I do. Gold at thrift stores is few and far between here...and jewelry of any kind starts at $3.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my finds come from New Jersey. The concentration of thrift shops is amazing and most of them are charity shops that are happy to get a buck or two. It’s not unusual to pick up several grams of gold on a Saturday morning run - especially in South Jersey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread