Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this for $2.50 today. Titus Calypsomatic 21 jewels 7986. It's in running condition, but could do with servicing, and a new crystal. Would you have that done, or sell as is? The pictures aren't great, but it is overcast today and my photography skills need work. Also, any recommendations for a reasonably priced watch service?

titus3.jpg

titus4.jpg

titus5a.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a new crystal. The watch will show much better and you will get top dollar. Also if the crystal is not cracked you can polish it. Any jeweler can do it

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, the bezel doesn't look to be original. They did put one like this on the 7986 model they made under the name "Dacor" though. I'm trying to get the back opened up, but it's pretty damn tight. I only have a cheap watch tool set and I'm worried about scratching the back if the wrench slips.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I will be selling it as is. Impossible to find a new crystal for it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah finding many OEM crystals can be a problem and those acrylic fit-all aftermarket ones are very thin and don't fit well or look right at all. I'm willing to bet you'll make a good profit on that one as it sits. What's funny is I've gotten more out of some watches in as-is condition then same other models, all fixed up and pretty in some cases. Does that watch have a screw-down crown?

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Collectors will want to have it restored by their own watch guy/gal that they trust.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys.

I would get a new crystal. The watch will show much better and you will get top dollar. Also if the crystal is not cracked you can polish it. Any jeweler can do it

It isn't cracked, but there is a lot of crazing. I did polish it some, the dial and hands are good, but it does need a crystal.

Yeah finding many OEM crystals can be a problem and those acrylic fit-all aftermarket ones are very thin and don't fit well or look right at all. I'm willing to bet you'll make a good profit on that one as it sits. What's funny is I've gotten more out of some watches in as-is condition then same other models, all fixed up and pretty in some cases. Does that watch have a screw-down crown?

I'm sure it will do ok. It seems to be a pretty rare watch with a very loyal following. Even the band goes for silly money. This band on this isn't perfect, but it isn't bad for being over 50 years old either. It is a screw-down crown.

Collectors will want to have it restored by their own watch guy/gal that they trust.

Kind of funny, I see a bunch collectors that compare their's to the Rolex sub-mariner. I'd never heard of Titus before, totally lucked out with this one. As they say, even a blind squirrel...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at the recent sales history on this model and saw one in dang near the same condition with a scratched up acrylic crystal that sold for $202.50. The crystal on it is a flat top and not domed like yours, so I think yours is original, which will be better in a sale I'm thinking? Also there are jewelers that specialize in metal band restoration, particularly the Rolex expansion bands. I think on a good day your watch could make $350. to $450. as-is and possibly more being I'm seeing some selling over $800.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great watch. I am a buyer if the price is right. hit me up on PM

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
If some are branded Dacor then its a dive watch and not just anyone should re-set a crystal if you want to it maintain its water resistance

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If some are branded Dacor then its a dive watch and not just anyone should re-set a crystal if you want to it maintain its water resistance

It is a dive watch. Crystal and seals will all need to replaced when it is serviced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a 5 minute buff and polish on the crystal. Can't do anything about the crazing, but at least you can see the dial and hands are in pretty good shape.

View attachment 1677131

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a 5 minute buff and polish on the crystal. Can't do anything about the crazing, but at least you can see the dial and hands are in pretty good shape.

View attachment 1677131
True, I wish I'd a taken a before and after of this longines, as it had some serious deep crazing. I use very fine 800 to 1200 grit wet sand paper to take it down as deep as I feel best and with the same polish I use to clean silver I hand rub it down to make it beautifully smooth. I stopped on this crystal so not to make to thin, but you can still see the deeper craze under the right angle of light around the 4 and 5 chapters, but it now looks a whole lot better than it did when I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_122426969.jpg
    IMG_20190203_122426969.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190203_122339925.jpg
    IMG_20190203_122339925.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 94
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: Get it repaired (if parts are available), but keep all original parts for next buyer. :occasion14:

Tremec

Greenie
Mar 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys.

It isn't cracked, but there is a lot of crazing. I did polish it some, the dial and hands are good, but it does need a crystal.

I'm sure it will do ok. It seems to be a pretty rare watch with a very loyal following. Even the band goes for silly money. This band on this isn't perfect, but it isn't bad for being over 50 years old either. It is a screw-down crown.

Kind of funny, I see a bunch collectors that compare their's to the Rolex sub-mariner. I'd never heard of Titus before, totally lucked out with this one. As they say, even a blind squirrel...
these have shot up in value over the last few years, I've seen some commanding four figures on fleabay with unoriginal parts. Fantastic buy at that price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread