Local GW Going Downhill Fast

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is why I don’t even bother going anymore.

Same here! The local and somewhat local G.W. stores never seem to have anything worth buying to make a profit or otherwise. Besides, they have regulars that are there when they open in the morning, who hang out for hours or come back when they know new items are going to be put out. I don't have that kind of time to put into hanging out at G.W.'s, so I think I will start going to any weekday Garage/Yard Sales and if I score some decent items, then I will try selling at the Flea Markets on the weekends. I have a friend that does it and he usually makes out fairly well.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in my area the local GW would occasionally put out a jewelry jar, I bought a few with no luck, but recently went by there and they took all the jewelry area out and said it is all being sold online. Oh well. Good luck!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has hit bottom and has been there for quite awhile. I still go because now it is a me vs GW. See if I can find what they miss on pricing. Does not happen much because the person who does the toy prices is also a semi collector. They are not suppose to hold out but of course they do, we all know that or at least suspect it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The thrift stores in my area are checking the silver and gold jewelry more closely. Not promising for future visits! :BangHead:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been into a GW for years Same old smelly find nothing experience until 2 weeks ago when I was in Phoenix Stopped by 2 and must admit I did find 14 Crystal stemware for a dollar each. everything else and second store was a bust. All in all not worth the time. And BTW GWs are for profit, they do not support anything that I know of. I stay away Yard sales are my thing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local GW was used barcoded stickers for years. They also jacked up the prices years ago. It is funny to go in there and see DVDs that you know came from the local Dollar Tree sitting there with a $3.50 price tag on them. The same with books that are obvious leftovers from a yard sale with a $1.67 price on the back and a yard sale 25 cent sticker on the front. A while back they raised the book prices even more. It used to be $1.67 for paper back and $2 something for hard back. Now they seem to price them by what the book is, with some being in the $5 and up range.They also have a policy stating that they will not sell you any item that does not have a barcode sticker on it. If you see something that you want that doesn't have a sticker, they state that they will not price it for you at that time. Basically that it has to come off the floor to be priced and then will be returned to the floor later. They did, however, violate that rule and price a book for me while I was there.
Knowing they pull that, I found a book I really wanted with no tag. Threw it in a cart & proceeded to load the cart up full. Second item was the book. "You can't get the manager to put a tag on it?" "No?, Have a good day. Out the door I went, leaving the cart there. They never pulled that again since. As long as I don't get the new girl. And yes I got the book the next day with a discount! Didn't know at the time they have a day when ole farts & vets get a discount. Sometimes a little social engineering goes a long way.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a really good day yesterday with just a few items. I was not finding much when I carefully searched the dinnerware section. I saw these plates and bowls that were black with grey glazing on the inside. I thought to myself "Made in China Walmart special" but since I was not finding anything else, I turned one over. On the bottom it said 'Jars' and then 'Made in France". Hmmm, not Chinese. I did a quick search on the internet and found these exact dishes for sale:

https://www.amara.com/us/ranges/tourron-grey-tableware

Final count: 6 Tourron Dinner Plates - Gray
6 Tourron Dessert Plates - Gray
5 Tourron Salad Bowls - Gray
1 Tourron Serving Bowls - Gray

I paid .99 for each plate and bowl and $6 for the serving bowl for a total of $23. Retail on these is $834 and all look new with no chips or cracks. Realistically I should be able to get somewhere from $200-$250 for the lot.

I also managed to find 6 red Fiestaware saucers with teacups, but it paled in comparison to these.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is good luck with their auctions too. I've won 2 auctions. The first I paid priority shipping on, they waited a week to ship it. :BangHead:

The second was a fairly valuable signed/numbered print. Shipping was $21.00 and the handling fee was $13.84. The box arrived, and I could hear broken glass. I wrote them about it 5 days ago, never heard anything back. I opened it today to see how bad the damage was. The only packing material used was a few lengths of packing paper. I'm pretty pissed.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, GW charges a handling fee on their auctions! Greedy organization arn't they?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alot of what gw is about is virtue signaling. They tell you you're shopping experience will be better if they hire employees that cant tie their own shoes and they squish around in crap filled diapers while you shop? New marketing technique?
Somehow full grown adults begging for soda pop change is supposed to make me feel good about myself? So irritating, I usually just wait in the car while my wife goes in.
It's probably easy to skim money off paychecks of people they hire and no one knows the better!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two gw where I live. The employees do not seem to be disabled in any way. Maybe at first that is the way it was, and gw still rides on that train? One store even has a security guard that follows people around. Ok, lock the doors we are missing a broken plastic spoon, nobody gets out till it is found. The markings say $9.99 on it, check you pockets make you did not accidentally put it in your pockets.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hang out by a certain pawn shop and tell people I'll pay double what they offer..
Yeah, yeah.. Sue me lol

Is it illegal to do that? I often thought about standing by the ts donation door and say, "I will give you a couple of bucks for what you got".

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah ours hires challenged people and some are almost fully there, some arent so much and are almost helpless to do anything but sit. Almost seems like they are being exploited "for the cause".
It's probably about getting them out in the world and having experiences and all that but almost seems like a day care at times. They will park the most extreme cases around the store in wheel chairs and put name tags on them like they are working. I always say "Oh, they have the displays out!" and my wife gets mad at me.
They have the whole operation down really well for maximum profit and no sterling EVER gets through.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ours hires challenged people and some are almost fully there, some arent so much and are almost helpless to do anything but sit. Almost seems like they are being exploited "for the cause".
It's probably about getting them out in the world and having experiences and all that but almost seems like a day care at times. They will park the most extreme cases around the store in wheel chairs and put name tags on them like they are working. I always say "Oh, they have the displays out!" and my wife gets mad at me.

That can work out for you though. The Pyrex bowl sets I found last week had the price on the bottom bowl which I and the cashier assumed was the price for the set. It was not until last night when I unpacked them that I realized each bowl had a price on the bottom. My $10 set was really $30 and my $6 set was $16.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is good luck with their auctions too. I've won 2 auctions. The first I paid priority shipping on, they waited a week to ship it. :BangHead:

The second was a fairly valuable signed/numbered print. Shipping was $21.00 and the handling fee was $13.84. The box arrived, and I could hear broken glass. I wrote them about it 5 days ago, never heard anything back. I opened it today to see how bad the damage was. The only packing material used was a few lengths of packing paper. I'm pretty pissed.

To be fair, GW of Minnesota shipped promptly and refunded the money for the art.

It was GW of South Texas that takes a week to ship, or 5 business days as they put it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread