Local GW Going Downhill Fast

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I can't count how many times I've been bid right up to my Max bid within minutes of the end of an auction on their site. We're talking the price was $5 and my Max bid was $15. Thirty seconds left to go and Bam a $14.99 bid comes out of nowhere. I've been warned multiple times about shill bids, never believed it till it happened. If that isn't enough you have people bidding double the retail price for used items that aren't even guaranteed to function.

I don't buy into the whole shill bidding conspiracy although I've seen it happen occasionally at live auctions and have heard some credible stories about online instances. Most of the stories I hear about are from people that got their bid run up by a "snipe" in the last few seconds of the auction.

Tremec

Greenie
Mar 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy into the whole shill bidding conspiracy although I've seen it happen occasionally at live auctions and have heard some credible stories about online instances. Most of the stories I hear about are from people that got their bid run up by a "snipe" in the last few seconds of the auction.
I hope that's what it is, I would hate to think they would pull something like that.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out today that the local GWs have a list that tells them what to mark a item. If the looks like it could sell for more than they can mark it up for more than the list states. You would think the GW employees would just mark it at a good price. The employees don't get paid any more, but the manager has a $ quota to make if they want to keep their job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions