Road trip from Michigan to Florida

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be traveling down to Florida for two weeks from Michigan and plan to make the drive last 4 days or so by hitting up thrift stores along the way. Normally when I go to Florida I just drive pretty much straight through along i75. I was just wondering if anyone knew any slower routes down there that might have mom and pop type thrift stores along the way? Something like smaller highways that go through smaller towns or maybe just areas I might want to take a detour through that has some good shops?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you got a smart phone and can look up towns around you. I just hit search area [thift store] and look what pulls up on the map around where I'm at. Don't forget pawn shops and antique shops and malls can very often have better pickings than just thrift stores to look in. Your very bound to find something good along the route you described. I'd say my last good find was a 18k gold pendant watch made into a little Swiss Chalet priced under 40 bucks in an antique mall on the road. They must not have known what .750 on it meant, but there's so many things to look for also. I no longer focus on any particular thing, but just observe what all I see in the places I've described. It could be anything that could be worth a lot more than their asking, like an old yashica t4 point and shoot camera I got for 3 bucks and sold for $292.00. Just keep your eyes peeled and hopefully you'll find the deal of the century. Have cash on hand as that's a better way to negotiate over credit cards.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can take U.S. 90 all the way across north Florida. They have Flea Across Florida all along it in April, but there are a ton of small towns with flea markets, thrift stores, and antique malls on that route you can hit anytime. US 98 is another consideration, but is very congested in many ares.

https://www.facebook.com/FleaAcrossFlorida/

Last edited:

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
Take 41 south thru Florida, there are lots of small older towns on this route that may be what your looking for, and its close to 75 if you decide to jump back on the highway.

OP
OP
E

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down in Florida now til the end of the month. I'm staying in zephyrhills. Have not had to much luck in the thrift stores down here. I did do ok on a community sale on Saturday. wow you guys in Florida have it tough, there is way more competition down here then back in Michigan for sales. I couldn't believe how many people I saw at sales that were such obvious dealers or flea marketers. I have noticed that you guys have much nicer things in your flea markets then I do at home but the prices I have seen at them are much higher in comparison.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning a trip to every state where I go to thrift stores and make videos showing what I find in each state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread