Gold Earrings? No markings. Anyone recognize the style?

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these up at a jewelry store sidewalk sale. The owner buys lots of estate stuff and sells off the lower value costume pieces at sidewalk sales. I have found lots of missed sterling at the sales, and even a 14K marked brooch one time (missed because it was a rare expensive version of an MFA piece - they saw the MFA stamp and figured it was costume).

These earrings jumped out at me from a few feet away. The easiest way to put it is that the metal glowed... a beautiful, buttery/silky glow. Loupe inspections shows no hallmarks or metal marks, but also no test marks. Does not react to a strong magnet. Has none of the glossed/coated joints look etc... that plating has. The 'pearls' are gritty/chalky to the tooth so I am expecting they are at least cultured.

I remembered several posts about high-end, hand made clasps to look for and wondered if maybe anyone has familiarity with this style of earring? I don't have a test kit and thought I'd check here first before committing to purchasing one. To me they suggest India. Oh, and spent $1 on them so no real loss if costume.

Thanks for any suggestions.

IMG_5028.jpg IMG_5036.jpg IMG_5051.jpg

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have picked those up for $1 all day long! I agree with the India look, what's the weight like?

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have picked those up for $1 all day long! I agree with the India look, what's the weight like?

Well, with the pearls they are 2.6 grams... However, in doing more digging around I found them! They are by Julie Vos. Gigi earrings. 24k plated. So not the treasure I was dreaming of, but not shabby.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a nice pair of earrings for a dollar! :occasion14:

MCB1961

Jun 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say I have the exact same pair they are vermeil over silver costume jewelry Don't mean to a buzz kill

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say I have the exact same pair they are vermeil over silver costume jewelry Don't mean to a buzz kill

Thanks, I figured out what they were and who they were made by and flipped them for about $50. Not bad for $1.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have bought those all day long. Man they look like 22K+ gold. Too bad! Still a great buy. Especially @ 50 dollar flip, nice work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread