I found this old doll house kit at our thrift store

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this doll house kit at our thrift store . It was in a old ragged out box . BUT was new . Wish I had a before picture . I took everything out to make sure all the parts were there . My wife had told me for MANY years that growing up she always wanted a doll house . So I worked on this kit on and off for about 100 hrs. in my shop . I gave it to her on our 30th . It made her cry when she seen it . Even hand made a porch swing for it . I have added a few things to it here and there . I dyed the shingles a darker color sense this picture was taken . 101_9051.JPG

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did a great job on the doll house. I know this meant a lot to your wife. I see by your avatar that you must be a re enactor or living historian. I used to belong to the 30th Ga. Infantry Co E Army of Tennessee. We used to host the Battle of Jonesboro in Clayton County Georgia. I noticed too that you are a member of the SCV. As we say in the Corps "Semper Fidelis" my Southern Brother.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job. My wife picked one of those up for our oldest daughter long ago. I didn't do near as good as you putting that thing together. Pretty time consuming those are. I even bought the kit with flat copper strips to electrify it. That I wished I hadn't done as it was a bit tedious to deal with.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For information etc. Do a search for Hobby City 1238 S Beach Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92804. It's a cluster of hobby shops & they had a "miniatures" shop that was /is pretty much the best for mouldings etc. They make kit furnishings, lighting etc. So you can furnish it however she wants. Do some searches for miniatures and you'll find tons of books kits and materials. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!!! Getting into building furniture, lights, plates & dishes is addicting!!!! When you buy the Dremel lathe & start splitting your own shingles instead of using the ones in the bag or visualizing hoe to make lamps from the stuff in your junk drawer you're hopelessly hooked my friend.

From what I can see in the pic, you did an excellent job with all the die cut pieces. One of the better kit houses I've seen.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on the doll house! :occasion14:

I built one for my daughter...sure does take a long time...:icon_thumleft:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built the same one for my Granddaughter, they are time consuming.Mine did not turn out as nice as yours, good job.

OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks , It took me like I said a little over 100 + hrs working on it on and off . WHAT I Didn't say was I had a stroke 5 months before I started it . I had a stroke in Oct 2016 . Went through 3 months rehab to learn to walk and talk . And just 8 months later , I had 2nd stroke , so I went through 3 more months of rehab . LUCKLY both times the EMS got me to the Hospital within about 1 hour so they could give me some type of medicine that can help reverse a stroke sometimes . Can't remember what you call it . But I built this house using only my right side most of the time . Yes Sir , Member for a few years know of the Sons of Confederate Veterans . Also member of the Mechanized Cavalry 2nd battalion Company B. That's the motorcycle riders . You may know that , Some people don't ! And yes I love it . VERY Proud of my family member's and other's that lost there life for a war that most NEVER even knew what they were fighting for . These men are and will always be veterans . AND this sorry A55 country is turning there backs on these men by removing monuments everywhere . MAKES ME SO UPSET ! All it takes is 1 person (idiot) to complain and other idiot's think the world will end if they don't remove them ! The bad is these people that are doing this , know nothing about the war . I go to ALOT of meetings all over the state . I heard a young kids (protestors) saying 3 weeks ago at one , that Robert E. Lee was a Nazi . HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE ! I have been cussed and called every name you can think of ! And the WORST is call me a Racist ! I have many friends of color and they are some in the SCV and THEY get called racist ? Can't fix STUPID ! Our camp was the 1st camp to raise a confederate flag in NC . Right beside I-95 . Raise it @ 7:00 pm one evening and it was on the fake news at 6:00am the next morning . Had complaints filed by SOME hate groups bye 10:00 am

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By Golly, Forest Gumps mother (Mrs. Gump) was right.....Stupid is what Stupid does......and a lot times says. Most of these young protestors do not know our American History and they don't want to really know the truth because the Truth would not fit into and would simply destroy their agendas. A lot of these folks are born losers and have nothing better to do with their free time. I sincerely hope you make a 100% recovery from your stroke. God's Speed and keep up the good work.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks , It took me like I said a little over 100 + hrs working on it on and off . WHAT I Didn't say was I had a stroke 5 months before I started it . I had a stroke in Oct 2016 . Went through 3 months rehab to learn to walk and talk . And just 8 months later , I had 2nd stroke , so I went through 3 more months of rehab . LUCKLY both times the EMS got me to the Hospital within about 1 hour so they could give me some type of medicine that can help reverse a stroke sometimes . Can't remember what you call it . But I built this house using only my right side most of the time . Yes Sir , Member for a few years know of the Sons of Confederate Veterans . Also member of the Mechanized Cavalry 2nd battalion Company B. That's the motorcycle riders . You may know that , Some people don't ! And yes I love it . VERY Proud of my family member's and other's that lost there life for a war that most NEVER even knew what they were fighting for . These men are and will always be veterans . AND this sorry A55 country is turning there backs on these men by removing monuments everywhere . MAKES ME SO UPSET ! All it takes is 1 person (idiot) to complain and other idiot's think the world will end if they don't remove them ! The bad is these people that are doing this , know nothing about the war . I go to ALOT of meetings all over the state . I heard a young kids (protestors) saying 3 weeks ago at one , that Robert E. Lee was a Nazi . HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE ! I have been cussed and called every name you can think of ! And the WORST is call me a Racist ! I have many friends of color and they are some in the SCV and THEY get called racist ? Can't fix STUPID ! Our camp was the 1st camp to raise a confederate flag in NC . Right beside I-95 . Raise it @ 7:00 pm one evening and it was on the fake news at 6:00am the next morning . Had complaints filed by SOME hate groups bye 10:00 am
Wow! while going through two strokes??? Hats off to you! With that you REALLY excelled!

Taking the statues down really frosts my boys! To me whoever was involved should be in jail for vandalizing a historic object PERIOD!
Got into a conversation with a young man when all this started. Told him it's history! It happened! Read, learn, when you have kids give them books let them learn! His jaw dropped & he just got a blank look. If these people the statues depict offend you Ok fine. Show your kids the statues & teach them!! OK slavery was a bad thing show the statues and explain why, read books LEARN use them as a learning tool! It's history being depicted learn from it!!!!!!!

Hey, was going to pass on this tid bit if you or others decide to build a house or buy kit or miniature furniture. Always ask to open the box. Look at the pieces, the die cut edges should be fairly square not too rounded. If the edges are rounded enough to raise the grain it'll be a pain.

Also, if you get into it big, shop for your tools! Won't mention the name but there's a company that makes tools for miniature builders & model RR guys that has a miniature table saw for over $100. If you go to Harbor Freight you can buy the same exact saw for around $39. Well, not exact, the companies is gray & HFs is orange. If you really enjoy this stuff there is money in it! Paid a couple months rent selling Chippendale dressers I template off a kit. Piece of basswood, salvaged brass, wire for handles, left over stain = $129 in the early 90s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started this one , I NEVER knew it would take as much time to build as it did . Believe it or not . I found another kit this past Saturday for only $15 . The only thing missing was the bag of shingles . Butt they re easy to get . My granddaughter seen the box yesterday and said " Pa Pa are you going to build that for me TOMORROW ? " SOOOOO know it looks like I have got to start on ANOTHER ONE !
Thanks for the info BOOGEYMAN

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started this one , I NEVER knew it would take as much time to build as it did . Believe it or not . I found another kit this past Saturday for only $15 . The only thing missing was the bag of shingles . Butt they re easy to get . My granddaughter seen the box yesterday and said " Pa Pa are you going to build that for me TOMORROW ? " SOOOOO know it looks like I have got to start on ANOTHER ONE !
Thanks for the info BOOGEYMAN
You can get the shingles at Hobby Lobby or Michaels if you got one close.

Brother you made the biggest rookie mistake you can make! Showing the daughter or granddaughter the box before it's done. You do know you're not going to get a minutes peace until it's done don't you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread